What Is It About Parenting In The House?

What Is It About Parenting In The House?

My big one, my first born summer baby starts school in September, that is just eight and a half months away. Don’t get me wrong I have all kind of emotion about this time. It’s the end of an era (feels like a lifetime), I will doubtlessly miss her and in so many ways it is so very sad. Trust me, I have all the sad feels about this. Then there are day’s like today and quite a few cold winter days  for that matter where we have been inside for pretty much most of the day. Days like today I think, thank god.

Thank god she will be doing something with her day that is stimulating. That makes her brain tick over and keeps her interested. Thank god the pressure won’t be on me to keep her and her brother entertained within the four walls of the house and away from their screens all the live long day.

I know what you may be thinking but there is something about parenting two full of beans pre schoolers in the house. Something…impossible?

Is it just me? I always say ‘I find them easier when we’re out’ or ‘they’re so much happier when they’re running around out and about’. I often consider my boy to be so say ‘spirited’ and so full of it he needs a good run around and some energy burning – the similarity to your average pooch is not lost on me.

Then I wonder, is it actually me who needs to be out of the house?

I mean, what do you actually do to entertain a two and three-year old in the house all day?

Once you’ve played the handful of board games they actually have the patience for and ability to play you still have another 11 hours 25 minutes of the day to fill. Not to mention playing those BORED (yes intended) games every day is pretty mind numbing. Re-inserting the sticks into Ker Plunk get’s really old after 17 times before 9am.

We’ve read the 406 book we have in our house. 406 times.

Today we walked to the shop – to get out and buy eggs – where the lady who served us said ‘making cakes again are we?’ So yeah we’ve done that a few times. We’ve baked all sorts, made our own pizzas, we’ve painted, got the play doh out, duple, played shops, nurseries, doctors and watched Frozen 14, 000 times. What else is there to do to fill all the hours of the day?

Surely I am not the only one who feels the guilt for not filling all the hours?

I don’t know about you but I feel less guilty about them plonked in front of the dreaded You Tube if they’ve been out running about like three year olds most of the day.

I know I know, why don’t I just leave them to it? As my nan would say, ‘you can say no, Sarah’.

Well I left them to it this evening as I served up their dinner and this happened…

Biro on leather chair

If it’s not biro on my leather chairs (nail varnish remover is indeed the remover, in case you were wondering) they’re fighting, shouting, not sharing or full blown anarchy is descending. My attempts to put washing away is infiltrated with ‘I’ll help mummy’, which is basically  emptying my perfectly folded laundry onto the floor in a heap. Helping me to prepare dinner results in me desperately trying to make sure there are 30 fingers attached to 3 pairs of hands at all times and vacuuming, well no. They either stand in front of it saying, ‘get me mummy get me’ or cling on to the handle shouting ‘MY DO IT MY DOT IT’ simultaneously.

Funnily enough I feel the need to get out of the house as much as they do. If not more. In fact may be it is for my benefit we get out of the house more (LOADS MORE) than we stay in it. I don’t recall in my preparation for parenthood being told just how boring it can be. Sometimes its great fun and it’s hilarious. Sometimes it is down right tedious. Not to mention wracked with guilt over whether you’re actually doing enough or a good enough job.

Days in the house have a funny way of doing this to you. Making you question your parenting, your patience and your sanity. Making you feel all the guilt.

I know it’s particularly hard on these cold and wet days and I know it can probably just be chalked up to a bad day at the office but what is it about parenting in the house that makes the day so damn bloody difficult. Even time in the garden is better spent than within the four walls. Roll on the summer. At least they can run around out back, on the bouncy castle and in their play house where they seem to be happy.

And if summer is a wash out, well let’s emigrate…eh Mr Tammy?!

What is it about parenting in the house? The trials and tribulations of parenting in the house with two small children.

1. Steph
    January 16, 2018 / 11:27 am

I feel you! I really do! My worst parenting days have been when I’ve been stuck in the house! Everything drives me mad, cant even get anything done without it been wrecked 0.00001 seconds later!! Been out of the house is farrrr easier especially when the OH is out at work! Roll on the summer for days in the park and days out!! Xx

2. January 22, 2018 / 12:55 pm

Mine are much better when we are out. But, because I’m much better when we are out. At home, I totally ignore them and get angry when they make a sound! Out, we have fun! School is good though. I remember being sad when Michael started, but now 3 years later, it’s great. He loves it, it gives us ideas for things to do, and I enjoy our time together more. The only thing I don’t like is having to do everything on weekends when places are so busy! #familyfunlinky

3. January 22, 2018 / 1:19 pm

You are so right. Now that my girls are older I can handle being at home for longer as they really do amuse themselves (while making the biggest messes of all time!), but I remember NEEDING to take the kids somewhere, anywhere, to just “Get Out!” The mall was a favourite place where they could run around and I could look at pretty things, or just sit on a bench while the kids “explored.”
    ~Jess

4. January 22, 2018 / 2:15 pm

I can TOTALLY relate to this and I only have one in the house! I feel like we’ve been trapped indoors since October and its been such hard work!! I long for summer days when we can get outselves back to some National Trust places or to the beach and not return home covered in mud and suffering frost bite! #familyfun

5. January 22, 2018 / 2:23 pm

I remember feeling a bit like this when my two were younger, some days the house feels claustrphobic to all of you. My daughter is 12 now and I still don’t know what to do when we have days at home. It’s not helped by the fact that she would rather spend all of her day in her room chatting to her friends on one app or another lol.

6. January 22, 2018 / 7:55 pm

Hell yes – I have been questioning my parenting, my patience and my sanity the past few days too. Being indoors can be hard BLOODY work. I ended up crying on Friday afternoon after one particular power struggle in our house. Roll on those spring and summer months. #familyfunlinky

7. Mother of 3
    January 22, 2018 / 10:15 pm

OH yes! I always found it so much easier to parent when we were at the park, the zoo, the museum, the aquarium, or even just out in the yard. I don’t know if it’s the extra space, the extra stimulation, or what but being inside makes a huge difference. #FamilyFunLinky

8. January 22, 2018 / 11:29 pm

Having more than one small one in the house drives you to insanity if you ask me and very sane insanity at that as how else are you supposed to react to the chaos and the need to be ever-vigilant. I tumbled into depression not able to cope but I think the more people are honest about real parenting, the better off we will be as parents including emotionally. Oh and it passes. I know have the dubious joy of a tween and two teens with worries about online safety, training, education, jobs and independence. #FamilyFun

9. January 23, 2018 / 3:14 pm

I have one little girl. My husband wonders why I have friends over for her. Because it frees me up to do what I need to do! I try to get out as much. We have a pool so most times we are there in the summer but rainy days and cold days it is hard. I get season passes to all the local places and make use of them on those cold days. #familyfunlinky

10. January 23, 2018 / 3:58 pm

Mine is only 8 months so we’re not really at this stage yet, but I can’t wait for some nicer weather so walks etc are a bit It nicer. #famiyfun

11. January 24, 2018 / 3:01 am

my daughter definitely likes to be out and about, it really doesn’t even matter much what we are doing as long as there is stuff to look at and strangers to talk to. We’ve been cooped up in the house lately due to weather and sickness and she’s driving me nuts #familyfun

12. January 26, 2018 / 9:48 am

I can definitely relate to this, even with a bigger age gap. Getting out in the fresh air is great for running off that lent up energy and generally makes for a quieter afternoon, they also sleep better which is another added bonus!

13. Funny, I have just written a post pretty much along the same lines. Even though my four are older, they all too often resort to their screens for entertainment (I’ve never been good at entertaining them, or interested to be honest), which comes with much bickering and fighting over whose turn it is. Going outside, even only in the back garden, always helps, whatever the weather.

14. January 26, 2018 / 11:59 am

Ah the mum guilt I can certainly relate to all the worrying. I wonder whether I should be laying on back to back activities for the girls or not. #FamilyFunLinky

15. January 26, 2018 / 12:39 pm

I’m with you lovely it is much easier getting out!!! You tear yourself in two trying to keep them busy and happy it’s hard work. Thank you for hosting #FamilyFun

16. January 28, 2018 / 10:33 am

I absolutely understand this. Before small girl started school we’d have done 9 jigsaws , played 28 games of pop up first and baked a cake before 9am and still had the rest of the day to fill!! #familyfunlinky

17. January 28, 2018 / 11:04 am

We have to get out every single day otherwise I would go mad! #familyfunlinky