Christmas trees, Co-ord or free for all?

Christmas trees, Co-ord or free for all?

So here’s the thing, growing up we never had a Christmas tree. I know. No we weren’t Jahovas.  We had a severely disabled child in the house who’s favourite past time would be to pull it down, climb it, lob it across the room, basically anything  other than leave it be and wait to stuff the presents under it come Christmas Eve. Or so I am told. I suspect having an excerbereatrd mother of three, two with disabilities may have also played a part.

Don’t feel sorry for me. Really. I went to good old grandma Barbie’s house and decorated her tree each year. All within a the specific red and gold colour confines in which she allowed.

Since leaving home and starting up my own, a Christmas tree has never been something I bothered with. I would leave it to Mr T and his daughter to enjoy as a thing they could do together. Funnily enough I always came back to a colour coorindatied, neatly decorated tree.

As the years passed and I softened I started to get involved. Then I had my own children and I became well and truly squidgy on the inside, in every sense of the word.

So we did it properly. We invested in a big busy tree and I went out and brought all the decs.

Now, there seems to be two kinds of tree people, perhaps you can tell me which type you are. There are those, like grandma Barbie and Mr T, apparently who like to stick to a certain colour specification. Hang the decs neatly and in a very organised fashion. That’s great, it looks very pretty.

Then there are those whose tree looks like Christmas has thrown up all over it. With baubles and tinsel thrown at it in any way it’ll stick. We all know that episode from friends right, the one where they all decorate half the tree like a toddler and Monica then Turns it round to her perfectly decorated side. We all have our preference.

I totally thought I’d be the second. Chuck as much shiny crap at the thing and be done. Turns out, not so much, here is my first every tree.

Yeah you note the pale/pastel pinks and blues going on there. It would seem that was my colour scheme. That and a few fancy pants shiny stand out ‘baulbles’. Just because.

This theme seems to have stuck. Partly because I like it and partly because I am too Scrooge to go and buy a new set of differently coloured decs. Each year however I cannot help but add to my stash. I buy a special, select few, really pretty, slightly different yet fitting tree decorations. As do the children, they get choose one each.

This year is no different, and the Scrooge that I am Is actually looking forward to getting the tree down and getting them on.

So this year my new additions come courtesy of Amara, truth be told I could Dec my entire tree out in their decorations as they really are gorgeous. I had a particular penchant for their Kirsch range which is where all the following come from.

I love love love the pineapple. I saw a bespoke version of this made on a programme about some of the ridiculously rich spending insane money in Christmas decorations and ever since I have wanted one. Judge me at your leisure. I love it.

I think the colours will fit quite nicely with my apparent theme, don’t you?

What about you? Do you have a colour theme when it comes to your tree? Or are you a chuck all the sparkly good at it and see what happens kind of person?

1. November 13, 2017 / 7:35 am

I think I’m a mixture of the two really. We have a colour theme and good intentions of having a perfectly decorated tree. But… then comes that fact that both me and Chris have zero tree decorating talent so it always looks pretty messy anyway. Lol. #FamilyFunLinky

2. November 13, 2017 / 10:42 am

Our decorations are all the same kind of colour, except for a few the kids have made over the years. But I let the kids decorate the tree, so it’s colour coordinated mess lol. I prefer the kids to do it as it’s what they want.

3. November 13, 2017 / 12:45 pm

We have a cream and red theme and tend to stick to that, but now and then the odd blue bauble does creep in! #familyfunlinky

4. November 13, 2017 / 12:46 pm

I’m a ‘bang it all on’ kinda decorator, my wife then has to fix it up. lol.
    There is a colour scheme (of her previous choosing)

5. November 13, 2017 / 1:02 pm

I loce quirky decorations and having no order, it reminds me of my childhood 😉 X #fmailyfunlinky

6. November 13, 2017 / 2:08 pm

When I was a child we used to have a complete mixture of whatever we collected throughout the years and our crafts. Having said that I love coordination too. Two Christmas trees? #familyfunlinky

7. November 13, 2017 / 2:30 pm

We have a good mix of decorations and Tristan loves to move them around so it never usually stays looking perfect for long #familyfun

8. November 13, 2017 / 7:14 pm

oOOOoooo i love those decorations, so sparkly and different. We don’t have a colour theme, but it is a family effort #familyfunlinky

9. Mother of 3
    November 13, 2017 / 8:07 pm

We definitely have a mix and match tree. My mother and step father started buying each of us kids our own special ornament each year and so I moved in with my husband already having a good stash of ornaments. We kept that tradition going and buy each of my boys a special ornament that signifies something special about the past year. While our tree may not look coordinated and perfect I do love that just about every ornament on it brings out a special memory and story.

10. November 13, 2017 / 9:11 pm

Wow, these are stunning. I love a theme! I’ve used the same colours for a few years and this year since I’ve decorated the lounge I’m getting new decs to compliment it. The only ones that won’t truly match are the ornaments that Little Man buys each year. Ever since he was one he has chosen a new decoration from the garden centre and it’s become a tradition. They are lovely quality though so they will always fit in. I can’t wait! #familyfun

11. November 14, 2017 / 1:29 pm

Love the theme! We have Black, Purple, Silver & Turquoise because I got bored with the traditional decorations we had #familyfunlinky

12. November 15, 2017 / 8:53 am

We go for both approaches, it’s a bit like a mullet – business up top and party at the bottom. I do the top half and my kids do the bottom half. We have quite an eclectic range of tree decorations so the kids get first dibs and I get the rest. We’re all winners 😉 #FamilyFunLinky

13. November 15, 2017 / 1:33 pm

We don’t really have a theme. We started with a theme of red and gold, but we’re ended up with a more fluid theme. I love those new baubles you’ve got though!

14. November 16, 2017 / 8:04 pm

I remeber decorating the tree as a child and coming back to find my mum had completely rearranged it. Every. Single. Year. I swore I wouldn’t do the same but I got a bit of an eye twitch the first time we gave my son free reign, he really did just through everything at it. I prefer a little bit of order so I’ll put on the lights on so they’re evenly spread over the tree and help with some beads we have, but after that kids can do what they like x

15. November 17, 2017 / 2:25 pm

We chuck everything at ours – my orange glittery squirrels are among my fave decorations! #familyfunlinky

16. Tracey Abrahams
    November 19, 2017 / 10:50 pm

Oh I suffer badly from P.O.P.D (perfecr ornament placement dissorder). I will spend all December tweaking the tree as I notice two baubles the same too close together. Last year Abby was just a kitten and spent a lot of christmas sat in the tree. You can only imagine how much this hurt me 😂
    #familyfunlinky

17. November 20, 2017 / 11:55 am

Our tree is sort of magenta in nature (not real of course) and so we are a bit coordinated. We usually do it up, then the Mrs., she takes over when we are all asleep and sets it as she pleases, :). I like them either way, as long as you can see the fun and love behind it all! #familyfun xxo

18. November 22, 2017 / 10:46 am

We have a fairly random tree with no set theme. However it is neat…i think what I’m saying is somewhere in the middle!