2 Babies in 11 Months – 2 Years In

2 Babies in 11 Months – 2 Years In

For all of two years and 3 months I have had two children, with just 11 months between, before you ask yes I am insane, obviously right? Can you sense me rolling my eyes? I wrote a post about life with two some 7 months into our new family dynamic and I was very much standing my ground and defending our decision to never have a nights sleep again.

Since then I think we have come full circle, there have been some difficult times, I remember a phase where everyday seemed impossible. Where my patience was non existent, I was exhausted and angry. Angry at how hard I was finding life with two all consuming babies who needed me for absolutely everything. I remember that time well and sometimes I wince. Wince at some of the stroppy ‘not coping’ posts that came with it and how I felt on really difficult days.

We have come a long way since then, since not returning to work and I am pleased to report I no longer feel like this. The babies and I have really got into our stride, we know each other, our likes and dislikes, we have a routine and it works for us. In the previous post I described having two children so close together as the good the bad and the ugly, so here we go again, 2 years in,

The good

The foresight of just about everyone that they would grow up close and be friends in coming into it’s own. Yes you can say I told you so. They play brilliantly together, they actually enjoy each others company. When they are being nice they are so nice. They care about each other and they miss the other should the rare occasion happen when they’re apart. I enjoy their company and they make me laugh. I enjoy my days with them and I feel genuinely lucky to have these two wonderful children to call my own. The good really is the best.

Becoming thick as thieves this pair. 2 in 11 months isn't all bad.

A post shared by Sarah Pool (@tammymumuk) on

The Bad

The waitress cleared his plate of food that he had finished, and didn't want.

The waitress cleared his plate of food that he had finished, and didn’t want. Bitch.

It’s not all sweetness and light. You’ll notice I said ‘when they are being nice‘ yeah, that certainly is not all the time. When they’re not being nice, they’re fighting, they’re not sharing and they are screaming. The boy always wants what the girl has, regardless, only to discard it 3 minutes later after giving her an embolism for having to share. We are subject to daily ‘terrible two tantrums‘ and total breakdowns from a threenager. IF they’re both tired, so help you god and if one is asleep past 6.30am you can guarantee the other is not. They still test my patience daily, push my buttons and playing house, shops, doing the same puzzle 17 times before 9am and generally being ordered around by two Sargent majors can be boring as hell. All day. But if you don’t you are struck with that horrendous mum guilt and spend your time beating yourself up for not giving all the time to the children whilst they still want it. It is a vicious circle that feels like a loss whatever way you chalk it up.

The Ugly

The shit. I still spend a large amount of my day surrounded by actual shit. I have one toilet trained three year old and one not yet to be trained two year old. The three year old can use a toilet but she uses the potty we have for her brother. Helpful like that. We’re a long way from those milk only first 6 months and don’t I  know about it. I am usually summoned from another room to the words ‘Mummy I’ve done a poo in the potty can you wipe my bum’. Who knew such a gorgeous small person could produce something so gross and so big. Sigh. As for the boy, well it appears he has some form of food intolerance, or something going on that remains un diagnosed as his, frequent and so disgusting nappies remain a constant form of gross in my life. We have an appointment about this next week so let’s hope for some movement, not literally. Whilst on the topic of bodily fluids, snot. Yeah snot is the other form of disgusting that I spend my day covered in. Whilst the boy is no stranger to a snotty nose it is the girl who claims best in show here. You would not think it humanly possible to disseminate so much of the thick green stuff. One of my biggest parenting fails was not taking out shares in tissues. We get through them like water and they never seem big enough. Somehow I always end up with snot on my hands and my clothes. When it is not there, it is smeared across their faces, their sleeves and ever their hair. It is vile and it is another thing we remain ‘under consultant’ care for.

So yes in so many ways life is easier now, and it really is. If you have two young and small ones hang in there I promise those difficult baby days morph into something else. It is something more manageable absolutely but it does bring around a whole new host of challenges and frustrations but I highly suspect that will be the theme of life for the next 15 years, no all the years. Parenthood.

2 babies in 11 months - 2 years in. The good the bad and the ugly of parenting 2 children with just 11 months between them at ages 2 and 3 - 2 years in

1. October 30, 2017 / 6:40 am

I can’t imagine what it’s like having two so close together, but this is a great, honest post. It’s lovely to read that they get on really well with each other and look out for one another :) #FamilyFun

2. October 30, 2017 / 7:01 am

I still think you’re a rock star for caring for two kids 11 months apart – I find one challenging enough! I’m glad you’ve started to find your stride, though – but I feel for you about all the poo! #familyfunlinky

3. October 30, 2017 / 7:05 am

Great post! I am an early years teacher but now teach 6 year olds. I certainly don’t miss the snot and poo that’s for sure! In another 2 years, your life is going to be v v different so enjoy your gorgeous babies. #familyfun

4. The Mummy Bubble
    October 30, 2017 / 7:39 am

Great post summarising your experience. I have a 21 month age gap which has been hard enough. I can’t imagine just 11 months! My baby is 10 months so at the moment they’re Not playing together but I look forward to when it happens! #familyfunlinky

5. October 30, 2017 / 8:41 am

Gosh I salute you! My friend had two 15 months apart and found it incredibly difficult in the beginning but she too feels like she has come through it and the fun times are here. I can imagine it was even harder with only 11 months, but congrats on getting through it and good luck at the docs. My daughter is lactose intolerant and cows milk gives her green poo and lots of snot so that might be something to investigate (we give her goats milk instead) #Familyfun

6. October 30, 2017 / 11:08 am

I think there’s always pros and cons. We have a 5 year age gap. It’s great because The Boy was really good when I was pregnant, he can get on with things on his own and he can be really helpful. But, they don’t play together much and probably won’t be as close.

That said, I couldn’t cope with the shit! #familyfun

7. October 30, 2017 / 12:08 pm

We have a 4 year gap and they fight like crazy at times but also play nicely sometimes. I don’t think I could manage to lots of nappies at once though, I have always struggled with the smell haha! #familyfunlinky

8. October 30, 2017 / 12:19 pm

Great post because no matter what gap you have people feel the need to comment! Sometimes life happens and it works out the way it does- I’m glad your kids are growing up close with each other, seems like a friendship which will last! #familyfunlinky

9. October 30, 2017 / 12:53 pm

I with you on all of of this… I have 5 year old twins, and when they were born my daughter was three……so much you said resonated with us too #familyfun

10. October 30, 2017 / 1:58 pm

We have 2 years between them but it’s not easier at all! I can totally relate to the younger wanting the same thing as the big brother – for like 3 minutes only, just for the sake of it! #familyfunlinky

11. October 30, 2017 / 1:58 pm

It’s definitely a bumpy road with kids. They can be little shits and then they smile and you can’t help but smile. I don’t envy you with them so close together but that said they have a fab little playmate each and they’ll have a strong bond growing up. Oh and you can palm them both off at the same point, whereas we have 8 sodding years longer!!! Thanks for hosting #familyfun x

12. October 30, 2017 / 2:38 pm

Haha, hats of to you, I think with time you slop onto q routine but it sounds bloody hard work X #familyfunlinky

13. October 30, 2017 / 4:34 pm

I have seven years between my two, it was a great gap as my son could look after himself a bit. I cannot imagine how hard it must be some days having 2 so close together, but them getting on so well must be wonderful.

14. October 31, 2017 / 11:53 am

There’s just 2 and a half years between my elder 3 and yes those early years were bloody tough with no sleep and constantly dealing with bodily fluids!!! They’re 17,15 and 14 now though and it’s actually quite nice . My two boys are real best friends!! #FamilyFunLinky

15. October 31, 2017 / 11:57 am

Mine weren’t quite as close, I had a two year gap. It is so difficult and actually harder than twins as they do everything pretty much at the same time. Sounds like you are doing a great job and it’s lovely they are close xx #familyfun

16. November 2, 2017 / 8:16 pm

Ha ha – I know I’ve said it before but I can relate to so much of this with the twins too! Just finishing off toilet training them and the poo situation is ridiculous at the moment!!!! I love the mixture of warmth and honesty in these posts that you write #familyfunlinky

17. November 3, 2017 / 5:43 pm

Ha ha, I think there’s good, bad and ugly whatever the age gap, just slightly different ones. It’s great when they start to really get on and play nicely together x

18. November 3, 2017 / 8:08 pm

That is quite the tight timeframe, but they will all be so close, and worth it in the end! Hang tough! You must have mommys uper powers to do this! #familyfun

19. November 3, 2017 / 8:29 pm

Wow and I thought I had it hard with two under two! I can really relate to this, I remember losing my s*** and to be honest I still do sometimes! #FamilyFun

20. November 4, 2017 / 7:47 pm

With two young ones myself I can relate to some of this. #FamilyFunLinky

21. November 6, 2017 / 8:28 pm

We have a just over three year gap between the older two and a just over two year gap between the younger two – it wasn’t planned like that but each is nice in their own way #familyfunlinky

22. November 13, 2017 / 9:31 pm

I must admit I am so very pleased the baby years are over already. I much prefer it when they can speak and communicate 😊 just the tantrums to put up with…joy!