Staycation Vs (international) Vacation Part 1

Staycation Vs (international) Vacation Part 1

Here at Tammy towers you may have noticed we like a holiday, it is kind of our thing, actually. We’ve had a pretty even split this year of U.K and foreign holidays. Closer to home we have visited, Bluestones, Butlins, the Cotswolds and spent many a weekend visiting my family in Bristol. This post is therefore all about team staycay!

I don’t know about you but I have many a fond memory of a U.K holiday as a child and according to a recent survey* 63% of us Brummies ( I say us, I am of course an honary Brummie) are trying to recreate this for our little ones. We all love a bit of nostalgia don’t we? Rose tinted glasses do wonders. The same survey also said the number one happy place for Brummies is sat in a pub in the Cotswolds…well I can vouch for this, you may have seen this from a few months back…

Facebook post from our getaway in the Cotswolds
After that apparently a Cornish pasty and fish chips by the sea in Cornwall is a roaring fav. I mean, we’ve all got that memory right? . What is more a typical 7 day break in the U.K will set you back approximately £698.00 as opposed to £1,481.00 for a holiday on foreign sands. I mean that has to be a big win for the U.K holiday.

This coupled with the ease of loading the car (I say ease, this is on the premise Mr Tammy isn’t loading your car as it will inevitably end in a strop) and just driving to your location sounds pretty appealing no? No crazy flight times, hanging around airports at goodness knows what hour and of course no flight. As a flight with little ones is a whole new ball game. Surely that is another win for the staycation?

Us on a plane

Then what about the location? Apparently Cornwall and Devon are the top holiday spots. There are some truly beautiful beaches on the South West  coast and if you could guarantee the weather it really would be a win win. As Mr Tammy says, if you could guarantee the weather he would holiday in the UK everytime…spoken like a true Brummie, apparently. That said you can’t beat some proper fish and chips by the British seaside. Really. You try to get vinegar abroad. It ain’t happening and certainly not without a bemused face from whomever you ask.

Beach in Cornwall

It’s not all seaside towns and beach holidays though. Let’s not forget for a small country the U.K has a lot to offer. We’ve all done the European city breaks, climbed the Eiffel Tower, strolled the remains of the Berlin Wall and drank cheap beer in Budapest but have you ever visited and stayed in the U.Ks second city of Birmingham?

Now as someone who has lived 10 miles out of Birmingham for the last 6 years I confess, I didn’t used to like it. However 6 years in I must say, I love Birmingham now. There is so much to it that I never appreciated. You can sit canal side with a cocktail in the summer and sup mulled wine in the Christmas markets in winter. The champagne bar in Selfridges is my happy place, in fact Selfridges is my happy place. The shopping really is great. The bars, nightlife, oh gosh Jamhouse in the Jewellery Quarter is a must. The restaurants, well there are some phenomenal places to eat in Birmingham. Arenas hosting world class acts. There’s plenty for the kids too, aquariums, museums, think tanks.   Birmingham actually has so much to offer. More than I ever gave it credit for.

Pre children, despite only being 10 miles north of the city we always used to stay the night in Birmingham. It felt like a mini break and gave us that bit more freedom in terms of home time. There are so many places to stay and there is something for everyone, but now coming complete with two little ones we are all about the space and home comforts. On a recent stay in Bristol we stayed in a SACO apartment – did you see this post? I must say they are perfect when travelling with the family. They are a real home from home allowing you to live like a local. Separate bedrooms, TVs, fridges cooking equipment, kettles – all the facilities that make travelling with a family  easier. So much easier than all being in one hotel room. Trust me we’ve done  that too. SACO offer serviced apartments in Birmingham and would be perfect for icing like a local mapping for your city break in the second city.

If you haven’t sampled The second city and fancy a city break then Birmingham really is a place to consider. As for the beach holiday well my vote always goes to the Cornish coast but the UK has so much else to offer. The lakes have been granted world heritage status, the vibrancy of Brighton, the history of Bath  or the beauty of Yorkshire all make for a wonderful staycation.

What about you? DO you holiday in the U.K. Or abroad? Where Is your nostalgia in the U.K.? DO you have a U.K. hot spot? Are you trying we, staycation or international vacation? Id love to hear from you.

Staycation or (international) vacation. Do you like to holiday home abroad? Some of the best places to visit and stay when holidaying in the U.K.

1. September 25, 2017 / 9:54 am

We tend to do a mixture of staycations and vacations – this year we went to Paris, New York and Maastricht, but we also went to the Fife coast and are heading to Perthshire next weekend. I agree that there are lots of benefits to staying local – cheaper, less travel stress and lots of great things to see nearby – if only you could guarantee good weather! #familyfunlinky

2. September 25, 2017 / 11:01 am

We haven’t done enough holidays to compare lately. I like both equally though I think. They are very different! #familyfun

3. September 25, 2017 / 12:52 pm

I believe staycations can be great! I use this term as pottering around our area only, if we stay at a different place or hotel even if it’s just the UK – that’s already vacation. Especially for me, as I’m not English and there’s still so much amazing things to see here I haven’t been visited.
    Maybe that’s my point: you can be a tourist in your own country too. #familyfunlinky

4. September 25, 2017 / 2:24 pm

A staycation can definitely be just as fun as a vacation! We have some beautiful places to explore in England! #familyfunlinky

5. September 25, 2017 / 8:12 pm

You’ve brought back loads of memories of childhood holidays in Somerset and Wales. Can I recommend the North Wales coast for loads of idyllic places to stay. Last month we spent a week in Aberdovey, which is on one of the most beautiful estuaries you will ever see, mountains behind, vast sandy beach with gently lapping waves, sand dunes to explore, and of course day trips on steam trains! Before you think you get worse weather in Wales, that’s not always true – we had glorious sunny days when we were there this year, while most of the rest of the country was very wet! Oh and by the way there were plenty of Brummies there – it’s only about a 2 hour drive for them!

6. September 26, 2017 / 10:58 am

I really enjoy taking road trips – or staycations. It is a lot less hassle than dealing with flights and long haul travel with kids! I’ve never been to the UK (or Europe at all) but it is definitely on my list of places to visit!
    ~Jess

7. September 29, 2017 / 12:38 pm

There are some beautiful places in the UK. I definitley want to explore Wales and Scotland more but here so far from Norfolk! When I was younger we did Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly but mostly just had a summer holiday abroad each year. Since we’ve had our daughter we try to have one stay cation a year too and it’s lovely. Xx #FamilyFunLinky

8. September 29, 2017 / 3:52 pm

There are so many attractions in the UK that it is understandable that some opt for staycations. #FamilyFunLinky

9. September 29, 2017 / 5:02 pm

I definitely want to stay more places around the uk. I’ actually from Birmingham but we moved away when I was 6. I still have family there so do visit occasionally and the city centre has certainly changed A LOT over the years. The canal area is beautiful now and the shopping is great x

10. September 29, 2017 / 9:47 pm

I love a staycation! It is so much easier than preparing for a holiday abroad but having said that we have had a couple which have been a complete washout and that is the only unfortunate part of being in the UK, the weather is so unpredictable. We all need a bit of sun. This year we have done 3 staycation trips and we were blessed with the weather and when it is good you can’t beat an English beach, a pub with a decent pint for the husband and that freshness you get from being on the English coast. Having grown up in Norfolk I do love an English beach holiday! The downside is that you don’t feel you have really been away and switched off….the jury is out. #FamilyFun

11. September 30, 2017 / 7:17 pm

Staycation all the way for us, happy for overcast weather and beautiful Scottish scenery, long walks and bike rides over rolling hills. It’s just beautiful! Ff

12. October 1, 2017 / 2:10 pm

We’ve had staycations since the kids were born but only owing to money – I’d go abroad any day! #familyfunlinky

13. October 6, 2017 / 5:52 am

We always like to get away a few times a year in the UK as like you said we do have so much on offer from history, to food, to outdoors and so. In fact we recently got a scratch map of UK counties with the thought being we could set ourselves a visit all counties challenge.