Are We Ever Just Content?

Are We Ever Just Content?

Since I can remember I have been working toward something. It starts with school, taking your exams, obtaining your GCSEs to go on to the next stage, be it college, A-Levels, apprenticeships. You then work toward the next stage, university, or employment. If you go to university chances are you studying for a degree with a view to getting a ‘career’. A job that allows you to then go on to start saving for a house, to go travelling, to get married. These are all things we are working toward to improve our situation, better ourselves or achieve something, in the pursuit of happiness?

We spend goodness knows how many years of our lives in this stage, the trying to clamber on to the property market to climb the career ladder. If that isn’t enough we might then start a family. You then find yourself in an abyss of exhaustion, feeds and nappies, getting through the newborn stage, the sleep regression stage, the weaning stage, the potty training stage and then we go through it all again and have another baby, maybe even another after that.

You may even be doing all of this at once, having babies, climbing careers ladders, getting yourself on the property market, getting hitched.

Me and my two under two

Back when I had two under two, wait I think I had two under one at this point.

The haze that is the baby stage is starting to lift over our house, with the youngest turning two in a few months. Having two babies very close together certainly made this stage a tad challenging at time. Now you see that challenge has eased, that’s not to say toddlers are easy but two under two, and the two under one phase certainly had it’s difficulticulties.

Might point being, that early newborn phase x 2 is over and our next step is an extension. A big build that involves knocking down walls, lots of them extending our house, moving drain pipes, water supplies, fitting a new kitchen electrics etc all that comes with it. Obviously we want to improve our family home and the lives we lead in it, but it will be a big undertaking with a young family. It is just another example of something that we work toward and through througought our life.

We are also working on or toward another very big project, of which I am not going to disclose just yet. Suffice to say however it is huge but again takes a lot of working, planning and effort, all in the name of improving our lives for us and our children.

What then, what will do when our build is complete and our other project has come into fruition? At this moment in time I cannot foresee what else could possibly be next, perhaps re addressing the career ladder, I don’t know? No doubt there will be something. No doubt we will find something else that we are working toward, something else we want in the name of self improvement? Will the seemingly constant quest for improvement ever end? Will we ever just be content? Are we ever just content?

Perhaps that is what retirement is for. Perhaps those are the days for enjoying the fruits of labour, perhaps that’s why they call the ‘golden years’. It seems a little ironic somehow.

What do you think? Do you constantly feel as though you are working toward the next step? Forever trying to improve life as you know it? Or are you ever just content? I would really love to hear from you.

JakiJellz

1. June 2, 2017 / 8:32 am

My husband and I call it the two year itch. Whether it’s kids, new jobs, new houses, new adventures … every two years we seem to have a new goal to achieve. The quest for bettering is a never ending one I believe. Good luck with your build.
    I have nominated you for the Blogger Recognition Award. Link is on my blog and I tagged you on Twitter. Have a great weekend. x

2. June 5, 2017 / 10:16 am

Sadly I think retirement is often spent looking back wishing you’d taken more time to enjoy the moment instead of working towards something. I do think that most of us are completely guilty of it though. I’m no longer trying to climb the career ladder but I’m always thinking of stuff I can do to the house, much to my hubby’s dismay, ha x

3. June 6, 2017 / 12:31 pm

Yup, this my life. There is always something we feel like we need to do to make out life better and then once it’s done we feel we now need to do something else. Really hoping thus stops soon and we can just enjoy family life without planning what is coming next xx #triumphanttales

4. June 7, 2017 / 12:48 pm

This post really got me thinking – you’re right – we’re always pushing forward to the next milestone or thinking, “I’ll just do this and then I’ll be happy”. I think it’s part of being human and wanting to better yourself and it’s a good thing. But I also think making the decision to be content on the journey is also one of the best gifts you can give to yourself :) #triumphanttales

5. June 7, 2017 / 5:17 pm

I feel like I could be quite content and just ‘be’, however, my husband is always on for doing something. This really got me thinking, and you could be right. I suppose it’s just the cycle of life. Different ages bring different life changes which bring different things to be doing. Thanks for joining #TriumphantTales, hope to see you back next week! :)

6. June 7, 2017 / 7:43 pm

#triumphanttales i agree, content can get lost in the journey. When i began mindfulness i found that my enjoyment in the here and now became much more apparent and although i still like a goal – i love the now much more. like most things, its an adult balancing act sometimes.

7. June 10, 2017 / 5:20 am

we’re in our 7th year of life abroad, having wanted more for our family, however they are now all adults and live in the UK and i’ve had enough of achieving, i now want to move back and settle down. My 25 yo son announced yesterday that he and his girlfriend are packing in their lives in the UK and moving to Australia on August 8th. They’ve been working their way up the career ladder, saving for a deposit for a house and decided that isn’t really what they want, just what was expected of them, so before the kids come a long and settle down they’ve decided to head off and have some fun first. #triumphanttales

8. June 21, 2017 / 8:06 am

There is always something isn’t there? We’re moving house at the moment, so that’s a few months getting settled before I’m sure something else will come along. I suspect I’d be a bit bored without it though! #familyfunlinky

9. Goals are what keep us going. I think a lot of people (mostly men, it seems) have the dreaded midlife crisis for lack of projects, for lack of something to look forward to. That said, you have to be careful not to push yourself too hard, or burn out becomes a real possibility. I don’t think reaching retirement age solves the conundrum. Contentment might well be in finding a balance between constantly moving forward and being grateful for what is.

10. June 21, 2017 / 12:38 pm

I think you are right, we should try to live in the moment much more (like kids do!), rather than always trying to get to the next goal. #FamilyFunLinky.

11. June 21, 2017 / 12:49 pm

I read a great article by Jonathan Harris, which fully goes with my beliefs. Here are the exerts I loved. ‘In life, you will become known for doing what you do. That sounds obvious, but it’s profound. If you want to be known as someone who does a particular thing, then you must start doing that thing immediately.’
    ‘We have these brief lives, and our only real choice is how we will fill them. Your attention is precious. Don’t squander it. Don’t throw it away. Don’t let companies and products steal it from you. Don’t let advertisers trick you into lusting after things you don’t need. Don’t let the media convince you to covet the lives of celebrities. Own your attention — it’s all you really have.’
    I think this even goes to believing you should go to university, get a mortgage. What is your happy? #FamilyFunLinky

12. June 21, 2017 / 7:37 pm

It’s an interesting question. I think there is always another project or thing on the horizon, but that is part of what makes life exciting. When I don’t have a project that’s obvious, I go out and find one for myself – that’s how I ended up blogging! Good luck with your extension, we did something that sounds similar to you at the end of last year. There were some stressful times but it was absolutely worth it. Having that better family living space is definitely down the right road to contentment. #familyfunlinky

13. June 21, 2017 / 9:30 pm

It’s interesting how often we are focusing on the next project; the next part of the journey. For me, becoming a heart mummy forced me to live in the moment more and appreciate it. Having an uncertain future meant that I wasn’t constantly looking ahead or striving for the next thing, I was focusing on the here and now and being thankful for it. It doesn’t mean that there aren’t things I’d like to do in the future, but they’re not my focus any more x #familyfunlinky

14. June 21, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Isn’t that just what being a human being is? Always progressing etc, I suppose it’s just what you make of it though. I don’t think retirement is the end of that self improvement, most retired people take on a hobby or similar isnt that just the same thing!? I like this post sarah ❤

15. June 22, 2017 / 8:35 pm

No matter how hard I try I am not a stop and smell the roses kind of girl. Always prepping for the next phase.

16. June 23, 2017 / 12:29 pm

I think we are always moving towards new things. We are saving for a house which is seemingly taking forever but will be so worth it when we get there.

17. June 23, 2017 / 7:46 pm

To stretch ourselves and aim for the stars is no bad thing but you should always be content. #FamilyFun

18. June 23, 2017 / 9:10 pm

I totally agree with Lucy @whatmyfridge – it’s good to have intentions and desires and motivation but mindfulness (as you know :-)) has really helped me get some perspective and balance so that I can enjoy the present more and not be striving all the time. #familyfunlinky xx

19. June 24, 2017 / 3:02 pm

Interesting question. I think that its important to continually challenge yourself and set new goals, new self improvement, but think its possible to be able to enjoy the process, to be content along the way. Difficult balance to find to be sure #familyfun

20. June 24, 2017 / 9:53 pm

I agree we are always looking ahead rather than focusing on the present. With children you are thinking about the next milestone #familyfunlinky

21. June 27, 2017 / 7:32 pm

I try & be content but the truth is I’m always on to the next thing…I think it’s so important to try & appreciate what we have now though… #familyfunlinky