Days Out With Toddlers…All You Need To Know

Toddler days out; all you need to know

Generally speaking this is everyday for me. Everyday is spent with my toddlers. We do however try do actual things, playgroups, parks, dance classes and alike. What we also try to do most weeks is have a day out somewhere. Truthfully this is as much for me as it is for them. We go to Thomas Land, a lot. The zoo, country parks etc etc. I often go with my Brummie Bestie and our children have started to interact together as opposed to just be in the same place at the same time. So that’s nice. Sometimes however I go it alone. I fly solo with my two toddlers and embark on our day out. This is notably harder. I am not sure why as my friend isn’t there to parent my children, yet that extra set of eyes clearly does help.

So through much experience here are a few things I have learnt from our toddler days out. Here is all you need to know.

1. You will have a crick in your neck. If you opt to take the buggy with you. In my case this is usually for storage more than transport, as neither child will sit in it. You will spend most of the day pushing said buggy while your toddler(s) wonder aimlessly behind you. Therefore you day is spent facing forward, yet constantly turning your head to look back at your wayward slow moving offspring, tailing in your wake. Half of your day will be spent walking to get anywhere, because toddlers move at a snails pace and stop to look at EVERYTHING…ooohh something shiny…ooohh a blade of grass…and off their gaze goes.
  2. They still put things in their mouth.My boy puts everything in his mouth. Everything. Recently we were on one of our weekly days out to Thomas Land when my girls shouted ‘MUMMY, TOBY’. I could see out the corner of my eye he has picked something up and put it in his mouth, something black. ‘That’s strange I thought, he hasn’t had his raisins yet. Nope but what he had had was a bee. A BEE!. He had picked up an actual bee, could of been wasp I am not sure, and put it in his mouth. I opened his mouth to see said bee upside down with its legs kicking on his tongue. Sheer panic hit has I whipped it off onto the floor. The only reason it didn’t sting him must have been because it was upside down and there was nothing to sting. But just imagine if it had, his tongue or throat could of swollen, ugh it makes me feel sick just thinking about it. Somebody tell me the obsession with things in mouths end soon, he’s nearly two, I thought this was baby territory.
    Toddler day out at Thomas Land

Moments before Bee Gate

3. The buggy isn’t always necessary. See point 1. I usually opt for the buggy/buggy board combo, however if the older child is on foot you can be damn sure the younger child wants to be too. This also makes napping particularly difficult. See below. So I basically end up spending my day pushing an empty buggy trying to keep eyes on two small people, often resorting to leaving said buggy unattended while I go rescue one or both from something inevitably dangerous.
  4. A picnic is always in order.Truth be told, this is probably my favourite part of the day out. Chance to sit for 5 minutes and eat, my two favourite things. MY children quite like doing this too so that helps. We have a pretty handy picnic blanket from Minene that comes in it own little bag so this is a must.picnic blanket
  5. Anxiety will reach new heights. You are on high alert all day. You are making sure neither of your children run off, are safe, are nice to other people, have sun scream on, have food, a drink, not doing anything dangerous. Ok I know I touched on safety there twice but it is a big part of the day. It is all consuming to be at such a high level of awareness all day. People wonder why mums harp on about their 7pm glass of wine…
  6. Naps and sleep times will dictate (or ruin) your day. Now my eldest, who is a few months off 3 doesn’t nap and hasn’t for a long time. My youngest, a few month off two still likes a snooze. He will not however sleep in the buggy for very long, neither will he go into said buggy without a fight  especially if everybody else is roaming free. So at best he will have a 30 minute nap on said days out. Failing which, if it is a drive of more than 15 minutes home you can rest assured he will fall asleep circa 4pm. As will his darling sister if it has been a particularly tiresome day. Now we all know the consequences of a 4pm nap…
  7. You will be exhausted. Totally and utterly. As will your children. It will be a weary few hours of dinner bath and bed but the you will feel marginally less guilty about allowing them screen time as you have been out and about parenting the sh*t out of the day, ensuring that fun is had by all.
    toddler day out at the farm

A recent day out at the farm

So there you have it a quick run down of just what a day out with toddlers entails, it is busy and full on but I would take being out and about any day over being stuck indoors. In fact I rather like them.  In truth I love these days with my little people.

Days out with toddlers, all you need to know. A day in the life of the enviably busy non stop day out when flying solo with toddlers.

diaryofanimperfectmum

1. May 24, 2017 / 5:51 am

So true – can’t believe we were at the same farm recently! What a great place for toddlers! #familyfun

2. May 24, 2017 / 6:05 am

Do not know how you manage with 2 toddlers! I’ve got one toddler and a much bigger one and that’s bad enough!! #familyfun

3. May 24, 2017 / 6:34 am

Molly is almost 3 and everything still goes into her mouth!! Probably why she always has a bug of some sort.. Haha. I know what you mean about the whole pram thing. Molly refuses to go in it yet I still drag it with me everytime we go out. Just in case! And mainly because I hate carrying bags haha. #familyfun

4. May 24, 2017 / 9:40 am

Aha I love all your pictures! It can definitely be stressful, I tend to only do proper days out when B is available to come too… especially since being preggo as chasing after a toddler is not easy with an enormous bump. I also find TM tends to get bored fairly easily still, I guess as he’s so little, so our days out are normally afternoons out as anything too long is wasted on him really! It is lovely when they get to explore new things or see animals or whatever. It’s going to get even more interesting soon for us though eh? #FamilyFun

5. May 24, 2017 / 11:18 am

I think you’re a superstar for managing days out with two toddlers – I struggle with just one! It’s the actual getting her about bit that’s hardest for me – since she won’t use a buggy, we either end up walking VERY slowly everywhere, or I have to carry her, which is terrible for my back. And to make matters more difficult, I don’t drive. She usually just ends up passing out on my shoulder for her nap. #FamilyFun

6. I only have the one too and she’s hard enough to keep track off. She’s got such a turn of speed when she wants to go. These days I tend to abandon the buggy but it does mean lugging a rucksack of snacks, drink and all the other stuff that comes with a toddler. We’re on the cusp of getting rid of nappies too, so I also need to bring the blummin porta-potty (we have the same ghastly yellow one you do) around. I end up firemans lifting her over my shoulder as she screams and I curse the back ache.

Actually, she only does that occasionally. We do enjoy most days out. I agree it’s fun to get out and do something different, even if it breaks routine. Hats off to you for dealing with a toddler pair though! #FamilyFunLinky

7. May 24, 2017 / 4:18 pm

I always end up taking the stroller and I don’t know why. your right, it does get in the way. I agree about the picnic, its one of our fav things to do. #familyfun

8. May 25, 2017 / 12:47 am

My daughter was such a monster at that age my wife pretty much never lest the house for about a year. I had better luck for some reason and brought her everywhere. Kids are weird #familyfun

9. May 25, 2017 / 5:45 am

So true. My oldest never put anything in his mouth but my youngest has been a nightmare for it. My son also never liked getting dirty, or wet, or being near bugs so we had things pretty easy with him (apart from the stage where he’d go into full on panic mode at the sight of a fly, never mind a bee). My youngest though has no such hang-ups and the more disgusting the better for her. She kindly handed me a lump of dried bird-poo she’d picked off a seat while we were out yesterday and is always picking up bugs. She’s so much more daring and has zero fear so we’re permanently on high alert on days out with her. Like you though, I love our days out x

10. May 25, 2017 / 7:50 pm

Great post! šŸŒŸ I love days out with my boys as just like you said it does feel like you are parenting the shit out of life and you do worry less about the screen time. We spent Tuesday at the zoo and I loved it! Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime šŸŽ‰

11. May 25, 2017 / 9:36 pm

Oh my goodness! I could relate to so much of what you experience everyday. I really enjoy days out with the kids too especially now that the little one has started to walk and can participate more. If nothing else, it gets us out of the house and everybody is generally in a good mood. Still…so much to think about every time we go anywhere with regard to food, diapers…and all the other non-fun stuff. Oh well..really enjoyed this post. Can’t believe Toby put a bee in his mouth! That kid is one curious little munchkin. Thankfully E has only ventured so far as little rocks, giant apricot seeds, twigs, and leaves so far (among the more non-safe things). #familyfunlinky

12. May 25, 2017 / 11:32 pm

So true about needing the buggy for storage and not the child. I also find naps go out of the window, #FamilyFun

13. May 26, 2017 / 8:33 am

I think the being on high alert the whole time is what wears us out the most. I do agree with you though, being out with our little people, watching them have fun and be free.. it’s the best! Hard work, but the best. :) #familyfun

14. May 26, 2017 / 9:52 am

It’s really hard work to take both kids out and keep them happy and calm. I just can’t get over the bee eating though. I would have freaked out if it happened to one of mine! #ablogginggoodtime

15. May 26, 2017 / 10:58 am

A Bee in the mouth, omg, I would have freaked out! I remember the days of toddlers not wanting to be in a buggy, oh how they squirm.

16. May 27, 2017 / 7:43 am

Ha ha, yes, all completely true! Naps rule we are slaves to them and our little people. I will be glad when they are done with! We can but hope they have wonderful memories of the fun filled days out we take them on… much better than the bedlam of staying in!

17. May 27, 2017 / 8:17 pm

Yes, yes, yes – 5 and 7 are standouts for me tho – my anxiety levels are crazy high at the mo – the twins are running rings round me when we’re out at the Mo…. #familyfun xx

18. May 29, 2017 / 9:18 pm

So true that they can be full on and exhaust you. #FamilyFun

19. May 31, 2017 / 5:47 am

We need to get out every day too or Little Bear goes crazy! Some good tips, and I’m also a fan of taking the buggy but it’s really just for carrying the stuff. #ablogginggoodtime

20. May 31, 2017 / 11:55 am

I’d definitely rather be out and about than indoors too – although I must admit indoors is easier now we have three! #familyfunlinky