Travelling With Kids Essentials; How To Make The Aiport Easier

Travelling With Kids Essentials; How To Make The Aiport Easier

Being keen holiday goers is generally something that unites Mr Tammy and I. We are always in search of the next getaway, despite the trauma that can be travelling with kids, more specifically toddlers.

Holidays are meant to be just that, a holiday. An easy life, a break from the norm. Holidays have always been this for us, until the two tiny terrors came along. Now, well, they aren’t quite what they were but we have been working on perfecting them. I have been sharing a few of these tips recently on the blog, from how we improved our holidays with private rentals to some handy money saving tips. For this w eeks travel essential I am focussing on how to make the airport an easy ride when travelling with little ones…

1. Check in your pram.

I know it might sound silly but bear with. Every time we have flown, until recently, we have kept our pram about us until we have boarded the flight. Why I am not quite sure as actually neither child sat in them. All we ended up doing was pushing empty prams and chasing wayward toddlers. We’ve even had to lug them down stairs with toddlers in tow to get to the plane. Nightmare. Lighten your load and bin off your pram. Let the toddlers burn some energy and stretch their legs before they are restricted to the confines of an airplane chair or their parents lap. If you’re child is too small to walk, perhaps try a baby carrier?

2. Fast pass

Another reason to ditch the pram is to be able to take advantage of the Fast Pass system. Most UK airports offer these and they vary in price per adult from £3.00 – £7.00, on average. Mark my words however, it will be money well spent, especially in peak season. You know that huge queue there is to get through security and have your bags searched, yeah you can bypass that. On our last getaway we skipped a 45 minute queue and waltzed straight up to the belt. No bored kids to try and entertain in a queue for us. It was god send. Kids are impatient. Word to the wise, you cannot use this if you have a pram and if you do have a pram or two chances are you will be headed into the ‘family queue’ aka the place where time stands still.

3. Children’s play areas.

I had never really noticed these until I has children. Not all airports have them, but a lot of the bigger airports do. Here are a list of some that I know with children’s play areas:

Gatwick (North and South terminals, Heathrow (every terminal), Manchester, Birmingham, Stanstead, East Midlands, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Donnington/Sheffield and Newcastle.

You will also be likely to find play areas at a lot of your holiday destination airports, particularly Spainish ones.

4. Airport parking.

If you par take in airport parking consider an upgrade. The days of using a bus to take you the terminal are gone. We did this last year with the kids, suitcases and prams, never again. Waiting for and standing on a bus for 20 minutes is the last thing you want after a flight with kids. We will always either park in a car park within walking distance, or use the meet and great option. If you prefer to get a taxi to the airport then a little tip – car seats are not a legal requirement in taxis. You do not therefore NEED them for the journey to the airport.

5. Trunkis

IMG_3599

See this here, this is all the crap we had to cart around. Not one child is sat in their pram or in any way interested in a Tunki. We had a mini case each, a baby each, a pram each plus an assortment of coats, drinks and who knows what else. TRAVEL LIGHT PEOPLE AND TRAVEL SMART.

The thing with Trunkis is that they are brilliant for older kids, who can carry and/or wheel it themselves. We made the mistake of buying our eldest, who at the time was just under two one. Needless to say she either spent the time at the airport crashing into people on it, or I was carrying it. Along with everything else. It did not make life easier. I do intend to get it back out of the loft when she is a little older, until then, it remains out of sight for staycations only.

6. Formula.

If you are travelling with a not yet fully weaned baby then working out how to take formula milk through airport security or a flight can be taxing. Firstly you can take pre-made bottles of formula through, even though it exceeds the 100ml limit. It will just be put in a fancy scanner by security. Alternatively if you want to do the powder hot water thing, you can take it as you would any outing and simply request some boiling water on the flight. You can also pre-sterile your bottles, although I am told they only remain sterile for 6 hours… you’re call on that. If you are unsure however you can buy disposable, one time use, sterile, bottles. They’re not the best, but for that one time use they do the job.

So there you have it a few hints and tips for making your life easier when holidaying with little ones. Trust me, anything to make life easier. That is what holidays are about after all. Do you have any hints or hacks that make airports easier for you? I’d love to hear form you.

Travelling with kids; how to make the airport easier-4

diaryofanimperfectmum

1. May 3, 2017 / 5:53 am

I’m with you on checking the pram – we literally never used ours in the airport because the Popple refused to sit in it. Also, I never knew that Glasgow had a children’s play area! I’ll need to track it down the next time we fly. #FamilyFun

2. May 3, 2017 / 7:13 am

Im for never having a buggy anyway so totally agree if I took one it’d get checked in. That picture is definitely a load of stuff! Glad you can share things like this so us who never fly will be prepared!! #ff

3. May 3, 2017 / 8:17 am

Ooh, that is why I never took my children abroad when they were small. But I am going on holiday with the grandchildren later in the year (yikes!!!). Will definitely take notes. Thanks for the tips.

4. May 3, 2017 / 8:30 am

Great tips! Thanks! will definitely seek out the childrens play areas if we are ever in those airports. Giving the kids a drink as you take off is a good one (their ears don’t pop then!). #FamilyFun

5. May 3, 2017 / 9:59 am

We’ve only flown with Michael once when he was toddling, and we checked the pram. He hated being in it anyway, and we’d got grandparents with us to help with any carrying! #familyfun

6. May 3, 2017 / 11:02 am

Ah we’ve always taken buggy to the gate but never had a problem – my daughter likes her buggy and actually slept in it in the airport last year. Maybe one to consider this year as she’s older. Also thanks for the heads up on the trunki. She’s 2 and a half nearly and we were going to get her one. Might not now! Definitely going to show this to Daddy as he’s the keen one! #FamilyFun

7. May 3, 2017 / 1:47 pm

We are getting ready for a HUGE summer of travel with the four littles. I wont lie- I am having nightmares.

8. May 3, 2017 / 2:12 pm

leaving in about an hour for the five year old’s first airplane ride. The amount of times I’ve double checked everything is giving my wife a good laugh #familyfun

9. May 4, 2017 / 12:42 pm

Great tips fast pass sounds awesome. Will definitely book this next time a fly as queue really are a killer with kids in tow! #familyfun

10. May 4, 2017 / 3:19 pm

Why did I not think of the pushchair thing years ago? It makes complete sense!! #familyfunlinky

11. May 4, 2017 / 7:20 pm

Great advice: I don’t fly but this can be applied to trips out and about in your own country too (car journeys and trains :) ) #familyfunlinky

12. May 4, 2017 / 8:36 pm

Now as a seasoned traveler I never knew about the fast pass until now. I do love our trunki and only wish we had discovered it earlier. Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

13. May 4, 2017 / 9:00 pm

Such good advice here – the play areas are a fab call and good advice about formula too. #ablogginggoodtime xx

14. May 5, 2017 / 6:49 pm

Great tips. We’ve yet to fly abroad as a family. #FamilyFun

15. May 5, 2017 / 8:03 pm

My best tip for formula would be to pack an empty, sterile bottle (or a few if a long flight) and then order some ready made bottles of formula through boots and pick them up after check in. We did this last time and it just made everything so much easier. You can always ask them to warm it on the flight if your little one won’t take it room temperature x

16. May 6, 2017 / 7:52 am

Good tips and all worth considering before you set off. Traveling can be such hard work, I love that it’s gotten easier as my boys have got older.
    Mainy
    #familyFun

17. May 6, 2017 / 10:12 am

Great tips! We are travelling next month and I was in two minds about checking in the buggy. I think I will now. She’s almost 2 so it’s a good idea to wear her out! #familyfun

18. May 6, 2017 / 7:06 pm

Ooo these are fab tips. I would not think of the fast pass thing. And possibly the buggy…if you’re using the play area/negotiating steps then makes perfect sense to check it in. One less thing to carry! Saying all this though i won’t be attempting flying with two smalls! Planning on taking E on an internal flight at some point but he’s older and think it will be quite different! #familyfun

19. May 10, 2017 / 7:07 pm

I’ve breastfed so have never had the formula issue – I bet that’s rather tricky! #familyfunlinky