Travel Without Compromise

Travel Without Compromise

So you like a holiday, we all do, then you had children. Enough said. We all know holidaying with children, young children especially is a bit of an oxymoron in itself. Gone are the long lazy days, filled with naps and margaritas. The sand will become your enemy, the pool will give you an anxiety attack, and sleep, well if you get to do so at night then lucky you, forget the day time naps.

Where you once looked for adult only resorts, spas and proximity to night life now your key word search will be ‘family friendly’, ‘entertainment’ and ‘kids club’. Ugh. I don’t know about you but in conjures up images of plastic garden furniture, flushed kids doing the mini disco and food ‘to suit all’ served up under buffet lamps. Or perhaps that’s just childhood memories?

I have been holiday shopping of late and come across some beautiful resorts that I would love to stay in, in the past I would have. Now however I continue my search as the thought of taking my two to these beautiful resorts scares me, not because they are heathens, er well, perhaps slightly. Mostly because the thought of my two running around, making noise, being toddlers disrupting the peace that childless onlookers are, no were, enjoying just adds too much stress to a ‘holiday’. I would rather go somewhere I know other children will be being children and no one bats an eye lid. I compare it to eating out with toddlers, without the children you wouldn’t worry about dining in a well regarded and fancy restaurant. With the children, you will find me in your local microwave happy, order at the bar establishment, where other children are also lobbing baked beans and trying to get out of high chairs.

However, when it comes to your holiday it doesn’t have to be like this, just because you have children doesn’t mean you have to compromise of your holiday, or where you stay. Yes your requirements may have changed, your search terms are different but your standards do not have to be.

We recently had a last minute getaway in Portugal, the Algarve to be specific. We booked a private rental, which we often swear by for an easy life when travelling with young children. Whilst we were there we drove to the Martinhal Resort. We had considered booking a villa on this resort with a view to using the child day care facility they offer, if my mum guilt would let me. We thought we would check it out, as an option for a future getaway. Oh my goodness the place was just stunning. The grounds were beautifully maintained, the villas and town houses were immaculate and all the facilities were second to none.  It is a family friendly resort that is suitable for all the family.

Zara Mark and Tobys feet in pool on holiday

These wonderful family friendly resorts are are not just found in the Algarve. Having sampled Menorca last year, we are now looking to island hop over to Mallorca for our next getaway. Two hour flight, beautiful beaches, gorgeous weather (usually) – sounds ideal. Earlier this year we rented an apartment in Murcia and treated our selves to two nights in a Hotel in none other than Benidorm. We’re looking to do a similar thing in Mallorca, a private rental as our base, with a couple of nights treat in a hotel. A few nights is about all we can brave when it needs to house 5 of us.

When holiday shopping I have a few ‘go to’ sites depending on our needs. One of my favourites is Tots To Travel, who introduced me to the Martinhal. Tots To Travel also offer up some great options for our proposed Mallorca holiday. What I love about them is they make holidaying with tots easy, and holidays should be easy. I wish I knew about them when my babies were babies. Their accommodation provides, sterilisers, travel cots, bed rails, high chairs, pool guards, stair gates, kids clubs, baby sitting services –  all the baby and toddler paraphernalia and consideration you might need. Their accommodation ranges from villas to hotel rooms and suites and they offer a price match. I love this site because it takes care of things you worry about as a parent when partaking in your family holiday. It gives parents peace of mind and activities and entertainment for the small ones all whist offering an excellent standard of accommodation, some resorts even offer spas(!) –  see you can still travel without compromise.

So my travel tip for you this week is if you are looking for that ideal family holiday that caters for all the ages of your family. Holidays that are holidays, even with young children, and if  you want to continue to holiday and travel without compromise then it is possible. There are resorts and sites out there that make this happen, you just have to know where to look.

diaryofanimperfectmum

1. April 12, 2017 / 5:20 am

We holiday in the Algarve every year as my dad has a house there and its ideal being self catered. We also just had a break in Swanage which was through airbnb and ideal for us too. Thanks for hosting #familyfun

2. I’ve looked at Tots to Travel before and it looks really good. When we next look to fly somewhere I’ll definitely be giving that a try. Like Fran, we’ve used Air BnB too which is a great way to get an apartment. Although the one we had in Lisbon want particularly young toddler friendly… #FamilyFun

3. April 12, 2017 / 7:16 am

I’m all about the self catering villa option – noone to give me the evils if my son is noisy or having a tantrum, and the freedom to come and go as you like. It lacks the kids entertainment and childcare facilities, but every year we’ve taken my parents with us, so have managed a few child free meals out – it’s the perfect balance for us at the moment. I suspect as my son gets a bit older though we’ll navigate more towards the family friendly resorts! #FamilyFun

4. April 12, 2017 / 7:21 am

Ooh that sounds great. I’ll have to check that out. #familyfun

5. April 12, 2017 / 8:43 am

I know we holiday slightly different to each other but it’s great being able to get away with the little people. It’s an experience that is unlike no other! I’ll definitely need to come to you for advice should we ever venture off the ground!! I’ll need passports first lol! #ff

6. April 12, 2017 / 12:52 pm

Now that the twins are turning three and the older girls are 6 and 9 we are back into vacations!!!

7. April 12, 2017 / 4:04 pm

We’ve always done self catering since having the little man. It’s so much easier. Last year’s villa was a dream. No abroad holiday for us this year but planning next years in the back of my mind! šŸ˜ #familyfunlinky

8. April 12, 2017 / 5:05 pm

Sounds lovely. I think it’s so important that the kids are happy and catered for, otherwise the entire holiday is a waste of time and more importantly, money.

9. April 12, 2017 / 6:19 pm

It looks like you had an amazing holiday from your beautiful photos on IG and thanks for sharing your tips. #FamilyFun

• April 13, 2017 / 5:30 pm

Popping back to say thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime šŸŽ‰

10. April 12, 2017 / 6:45 pm

We looked at that resort but ended up choosing Sani Resort in Greece, good to hear it looked great! #familyfunlinky

11. April 12, 2017 / 8:06 pm

We are exactly the same….we are terrified of being the people with noisy kids that we used to glare at – the shame! I actually always get ads on Facebook for the Martinhal, so it must be meant to be! I find hotels so difficult because of the whole everyone in one room lark, so villa on a resort could be perfect. Either way you’re right – holidays can still be awesome, just in a different nap free way! #FamilyFun

12. April 12, 2017 / 9:02 pm

Martinhal Resort sounds amazing!! And the fact that it’s a proper family friendly resort is a bonus! Travel with kids can really be wonderful, it’s definitely possible not to have to compromise. :) #FamilyFun

13. April 13, 2017 / 5:47 am

That sounds like a great resource – it would be nice not to have to worry about sorting out things like cots and high chairs when travelling abroad. #familyfun

14. April 13, 2017 / 8:21 am

What a brilliant idea, having all of that stuff available for people with babies and young children. I’m not really a huge one for going abroad so we haven’t braved that yet but I’ll definitely be using that site when we do! We’ve done a few centre parcs holidays and I like those for all the reasons you say: there’s no stress and everything is geared up for kids, so you can still – dare I say it – relax! #ablogginggoodtime

15. April 14, 2017 / 9:27 am

Oooooh great tips thank you so much! We haven’t taken the little man on holiday yet but are looking to do it next year! <3 #ablogginggoodtime

16. April 14, 2017 / 10:08 am

Tots to travel looks really good. We can’t afford to go anywhere this year but it’s definitely worth looking into for next year for us!

17. April 14, 2017 / 6:49 pm

I love the self catering option being that I’m a fussy eater and like my things without sauces. #FamilyFun

18. April 15, 2017 / 7:47 am

We don’t holiday abroad because I’m terrified of flying. We choose somewhere self catering because of my allergies. We go to a range of attractions, some for the kids but some for us too. #familyfunlinky

19. April 15, 2017 / 10:08 am

I have had a peek at the Totstotravel site and it looks amazing!!! definately gonna speak to hubby about this rather than a Butlins break! #familyfun

20. April 17, 2017 / 4:29 pm

its so different going with children on holiday! when Arthur was 6 months we went to spain and my husband didnt get the memo…i literally did everything whilst he ‘holidayed’….this year we are trying again now hes 2 and im pregnant, i’ve made my expectations a little more clear lol #kcacols

21. April 18, 2017 / 7:23 pm

I love Tots To Travel because you know exactly what you’re getting and the peace of mind from a safety and child point of view is priceless #familyfunlinky

22. April 20, 2017 / 8:40 pm

Oh this sounds perfect for us, we’re working on saving for a trip in the furture so this is great timing.
    Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday.

23. April 24, 2017 / 9:18 pm

Ooh, I wish we could afford a getaway like this! Unfortunately as a young couple who have just bought our first home, a ‘doer upper’ to be precise, we can only dream of places like this! #butlinsherewecome #KCACOLS

24. April 27, 2017 / 3:45 pm

I love your take on this. We haven’t done any family vacations yet but you got me looking forward to our first one. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday