It Has Been Brutal

It Has Been Brutal

… and it isn’t over yet. Tell me I am not the only one who is finding this winter particularly horrendous. Actually, you do not have to. Just opening my Instagram or Facebook tells me you are all cooped up inside with poorly babies, nursing poorly husbands and fighting your own battle with mumflu. Winter, thus far, has been a never-ending conveyor belt of colds, sniffles and poorly tums and it doesn’t look like we are getting off anytime soon.

It is almost as though a sickness post is in  every ‘mummy bloggers’ *cringe* wings waiting to be unleashed. It has taken me 16 months but I am finally joining ranks and conforming with mine.

I have never really been one for being ill. Super immune system, youth, hardcore, ha, I don’t know but my sickness was always few and far between. This however was pre kids, and pre Scarlett Fever but that is for another day. Nowadays my local hangouts, they be slobber covered, germ breeding play-groups and soft plays. I regularly get snot in or around my mouth thanks to my smallest’s wet kisses, we end up sharing spoons, gross but it happens and we are together all the live long day. So really it is inevitable, the germs they be coming and they be staying.

We all know the drill it starts with the kids, they bring it home having eaten the plastic fruit at play-group or licked the baby with the snotty nose, render us housebound and climbing the walls. Thanks. I find there are two types of kiddies illness; 1. The Sleeper. This is the best kind, the type where they sleep all day allowing you to get on with whatever you need, i.e. everything, if you’re lucky they’ll sleep all night too. Then there is number 2. The Irritable. The can’t get comfy, the surgically attached to mum, the sweaty, the in pain, the hungry but won’t eat, the down right miserable. Allowing you to get absolutely nothing done and if you dare put said sick child down you will most certainly live to regret it, oh the snotty/tear covered face – you will not know where the tears end and the snot begins. Get a mum nappy it is kinder for everyone. This is mostly likely going to be you. Sorry. I think the sleeper might be a lie.

Me and Poorly Toby

My poorly, sweaty, clingy child…don’t be fooled by the closed eyes…

The good thing though, kids are up and down like a yo-yo. They can have a raging temperature, sick as can be, chuck them some calpol and a trip to the doctors and they’ll miraculously perk up in time for you to look like an over protective, time-wasting parent, bringing yet another bloody virus into the surgery. #sorrynotsorry.

Then it’s your turn, after having snot wiped all over you for three days straight some of those germs will penetrate and strike you down. Don’t worry though guys it is not the type that renders you bed ridden, unable to move from the aches and chills or the type where you can’t breath without a tub of Vicks strapped to your nose. Oooooh no it.is.not. It may well be, but circumstance will dictate you will be lucky to see your bed during the night let alone the day. By now your children will be healthy again and cabin fever will have got the better of them. They will want to jump, shout, run and chuck things at or on you. They will want feeding (bastards), nappies need to be changed, bums wiped, washing done, work to attend, bleurgh need I go on. Your patience will be at an all time low and you will walk shuffle around the house doubled over feeling sorry for yourself, cursing all the germs and your decision to procreate, but it’s OK because Daddy will be home soon, the calvary is coming….

…. ‘Daddy!!’ Come the squeals , ‘Mummy, Daddy’s home’ **of thank fuck god**. Dad comes through the door says his hellos waits for the kids to be out of ear shot and says ‘god I feel fucking awful, I am so ill

GAMEOVER.

Cupboards are raided for drugs, vitamins, supplements and chicken soup, because you know chicken soup is medicinal and the law when ill. He is swiftly off to bed with a bottle of night nurse and a box of tissues. Need I say it? Don’t be gross about the tissues  and, no, not an actual night nurse, neeeever gonna happen.

And repeat. Ad infinitum. Or at least until the Daffs are in full bloom.

Oh and the above, that’s for the lucky ones. This is your common cold, chances are you will also have a delightful case of noro-virus, (oh the washing), cases of D&V (MORE WASHING), actual flu and someone will get some stupid illness you thought extinct, Scarlett Fever anyone?

Winter. I am SO over it. Can we move to the sun now please? #isitsummeryet

What about you? Have you been suffering? Are you little ones just non-stop walking germs infecting you all? I wold love to hear from you.

1. February 15, 2017 / 6:56 am

I feel like the Popple has had about two weeks all winter when she WASN’T sick. The rest of the time it’s all snotty noses, chesty coughs and clingyness. It’s the worst. I’ve somehow how managed to avoid catching all but two of her colds, and they made me just sick enough to feel shit but not sick enough to be able to call of work. The joys of winter, eh? #FamilyFun

2. February 15, 2017 / 2:24 pm

We just have a cold that is going around and then back around. My kids are older, but I think that can be as bad as the whinge more than a toddler and their life is over as they are too ill to go meet their friends.

3. February 15, 2017 / 2:25 pm

Oh my! I’ve always been a winter lover but now I’m mum I’m desperate for summer to come! I hate the germs, that it’s dark when I have to get up at 5am and I hate the cabin fever! Also don’t you think men expect to receive sympathy when their ill but don’t give it out when you are?! #familyfun

4. February 15, 2017 / 2:33 pm

IT’s awful! I hate winter! Not until Christmas, but after that, there is simple no need for it! #familyfun

5. February 15, 2017 / 2:50 pm

Ready for fresh air and spring here too!

6. February 15, 2017 / 3:41 pm

God I am with you hun. I am so over this winter. Being a teacher it’s an occupational hazard too! The kids always seem to have something nasty. Thank you for hosting #FamilyFun 🌟

7. February 15, 2017 / 4:32 pm

We’ve ALL had it. Poor little man hasn’t been free of a cold for longer than two days for about 2 months now! Poor kid. Then hubby had it, I thought I’d got away with it but no! They’re taking ages to get rid of aswell. Roll on the warmer weather now. I’m fed up of winter and it’s winteriness!! #familyfunlinky

8. February 15, 2017 / 7:11 pm

We are going through this at the moment with a bout of hand, foot and mouth. Iy’s blood horrific and funnily enough we think it came from a soft play called Bugs! #FamilyFun

9. February 15, 2017 / 7:41 pm

Aww bless you Sarah! It’s never ending!! Holiday soon!! 😀

10. February 15, 2017 / 9:22 pm

You poor things :( We’ve been sick most of winter too – well certainly since the NY. My husband came off his bike in the bad weather and broke his hand (not an illness but still the fault of injury). Then the same week my daughter got norovirus. Then once she was over that we both got a vicious cold which still hasn’t completely gone 3 weeks later. TEDIOUS! Hope a bit of summer sun will see you all right again xx #FamilyFun

11. February 15, 2017 / 11:42 pm

everybody I know has been sick all winter long. Its been rough

12. February 16, 2017 / 8:29 am

Molly is always ill with one thing or another – chicken pox at the minute! She is a trooper though and never let’s anything get her down. Roll on spring, probably my fave season. Not summer though, it’s gets too hot for me and there’s way too much pollen! Haha. #familyfun

13. February 16, 2017 / 5:48 pm

The girls have a cold that lasted a week. Fortunately I seemed to have got away without succumbing to that too. #FamilyFun

14. February 17, 2017 / 12:02 pm

Touch wood my kids have been ok so far, apart from a bad bout in late October that took us all down. It might be because they are older? Hope you all get better real soon! x
    #amilyFun

15. February 17, 2017 / 12:11 pm

It has been constant in our house since just before Christmas with my youngest seeming to get the worst of it, I am definitely ready for this winter to be over!
    #DreamTeam

• February 17, 2017 / 12:22 pm

Sorry, should have been #FamilyFun – I’ll blame the cold medicine 😂

16. February 17, 2017 / 3:25 pm

Ooo I know it will bel lovely to get some warmer weather and get rid of these germs! Hope everyone is well for your hols. #familyfunlinky xx

17. February 17, 2017 / 4:09 pm

Ben is definately an irritable kind of poorly baby. He has clung to me the whole day and sobbed uncontrollably. Poor thing! Plus his tooth broke today so he’s really going through the mill #familyfun

18. February 18, 2017 / 9:54 am

Oh I hear ya! So far this month we’ve had both babies and mummy and daddy all sick, horrid colds, sore throats, coughs, headaches! I’m so done with winter now too, I’ve never been this ill in my life let alone one month! Gah!! #FamilyFun (or not so fun :( )

19. February 18, 2017 / 6:45 pm

Oh dear, poor you! My daffs are in bloom (sprouting counts right?) and I had to get myself some antibiotics earlier in the week. Kids are fine though!

20. February 19, 2017 / 4:52 pm

Sat here reading this feeling sorry for myself! Can’t even think but hazard a guess this is the 4th cold since xmas. So over it too! Roll on spring! Hope you’re all fit and well soon xx #FamilyFun

21. February 21, 2017 / 2:36 pm

Oh my god this is all So true! And can I say so humorously written – sorry to chuckle at your expense but hey, we’re all in this together, ha. I read a great quote on instagram recently it said “Mumflu – exactly like Manflu except nobody gives a shit” hahaha loved it x