When Scrooge Becomes A Mama

When Scrooge Becomes A Mama

So anyone who knows me will know come Christmas I am Scrooge. I crumpled my face up at my friend for wearing elf socks the other day. I haven’t liked Christmas for as long as I can remember – I know it sounds awful. I am not going to go into reasons why, they are personal and I doubt you want to hear them anyway. Besides you can probably gather it is most likely a result of having had more bad than good.

The Grinch

I don’t think it is just that, the ethos of Christmas is family and friends, it is being with loved ones and having a magical day together. What if you don’t have those people to spend the day with? I think about those people. Then there’s the stress of ‘making it perfect’, cooking the dinner so nothing is burnt or dry, making sure everyone is having a nice time. Then the cost of that one damn day of the year. The turkey, the crackers, the booze, the presents – oh the presents, lets face it, this post could just be a list of all the things you COULD spend money on at christmas. It is never-ending.

Don’t worry however I am not going to use the post, and your time, to have a whine about Christmas, well, not anymore anyway. Yes I think the above and yes I am still a little bit tinged with Scrooge and no I won’t be wearing a Christmas jumper – because I am not twat (sorry). However, for the first time, I am going to be THAT person. You know the one. Or at least I am going to go down swinging…

The one who has brought her presents and wrapped them by December 1st. As somebody who is normally a Christmas Eve kinda gal this will be some achievement – I’ll report back on whether this was actually achieved at a later date but it is looking good.

I am going to get the decs out with enviable gusto and enjoy every damn second of hanging bauble after bauble on the sodding tree. I am not going to swear at bastard lights (whoops) because someone didn’t put them away properly last year and by someone I mean me. I am going to put the outside lights on and not moan at Mr Tammy about the cost of the bloody things or the fact our house looks like it’s on parade. Neither am I going to limit our decs to the tree only – hold that thought for a later post.

Christmas tree

A tree from a previous Christmas

I am going to take my children to see Father Christmas as much as humanly possibly. Yes they are probably too young to understand and will most likely be scared of the fella but hey its Christmas and that’s what you do right? They WILL NOT be like their mother and they WILL bloody love Christmas.

We will go to all the garden centres to look at the lights and buy over priced decorations (sorry Mr Tammy).

zara with santa at garden centre

CHECK!

I am going to watch Christmas films and not roll my eyes, even once.

I am going to send Christmas cards, maybe.

I am not going to turn off all the Christmas songs that come on the radio, or at least I will try my very best not to. I literally cannot listen to The Darkness scream at me.

I will blog about the whole shabang – see!

Most of all I am going to enjoy the whole thing with my family and realise just how bloody lucky I am to be able to do so. After all, its Chriiiiistmaaaasss. See I told you my kids have soften my hard edges.

There are however some things about Christmas I already have down and probably won’t be changing…

I will drink too much fizz, and gin **takes sip from mum measured G&T.

I will buy said gin and fizz nice and early whilst the offers are on with every intention of hiding it until Christmas. It will not last and I will have to buy more.

three proseccos of magnum

I will eat all the chilli coated nuts and too much cheese. In fact I will eat all the food.

I will spend too much money on presents.

I will not exclude myself from Santa’s visit list on the basis I am an adult and a parent. Seriously who does that? CoughCoughMamawouldlikeanewbagCoughCough

We will go the Christmas markets in Brum town and drink Gluwein wrapped in scarves and hats.

We will go to our local’s Family Fun day on boxing day for the kids disco.

My house will look like a toy shop.

I will want to take my tree down by new year and want my house back to ‘normal’….

So what about you? What are your Christmas traditions that you have sussed? Do you like Christmas? Are you super organised got this shit down kind of mama or are you the last minute hope for the best type? I’d love to hear from you.

Tammymum

1. November 28, 2016 / 7:23 pm

I never used to like Christmas because my Dad was always flitting in and out of my life, and I didn’t have a big family.

My Dad died this year and I finally have a daughter… Harsh as it sounds I think the will be an amazing year now! Not to say I won’t miss my Dad, of course, but this year I’ve got my own little family for the first time!

• tammymum
      November 28, 2016 / 7:34 pm

Ah that’s so nice to read that you’re looking forward to it with your own family! I hope you have a lovely lovely Christmas – I’m sure you will xx

2. November 28, 2016 / 8:05 pm

Up until this year I have HATED Christmas with a passion. It’s not even December yet and I want to decorate. Guess this is what having kids does to you

3. November 29, 2016 / 8:51 pm

As long as you EAT ALL THE FOOD, you’ll be good. :) Seriously, I think Christmas is more fun with kids, even if they don’t really get it. I love the look on the Popple’s face when she sees Christmas lights – it warms my heart and all that. Also good for warming the heart – mulled wine.

4. November 30, 2016 / 12:12 am

its easier to get into the xmas spirit once you’ve sorted out all the hassle such as xmas presents, food for xmas meal and office parties.
    Once all those are out of the way I find its 100x easier to get into the festive spirit.

5. November 30, 2016 / 7:26 am

Just popping back from #FamilyFun – hohoho and seasons greetings and all that. :)

6. November 30, 2016 / 7:57 am

Embrace it!! I’m not really feeling festive yet but gooefully will once the decs are up. Thanks for hosting #familyfun

7. November 30, 2016 / 8:17 am

I love Christams but I completely get where you’re coming from with regard to the over-pricing, and over-commercialing of everything. As you say, not enough people think of those less fortunate. And another thing I can totally relate to is the pre-bought, put away Christmas alcohol barely lasting beyond the middle of December.

8. November 30, 2016 / 8:26 am

I like Christmas but I can’t wait to get those decorations down – the sooner after Christmas the better. The secret is not to expect too much. Will look forward to hearing how you got on. Good luck.
    #family fun

9. November 30, 2016 / 9:04 am

I’ve always loved Christmas, even more so now I have a daughter. It is a load of hassle just for one day though. I always try to be prepared but inevitably something always ends up being last minute. Nothing worse than wrapping loads of presents late Christmas eve because you left it too late! Ha x

10. November 30, 2016 / 9:13 am

As a late teen, we always had very small christmas’, just me and my dad. It was lovely, in our own little way. We had our own small traditions.

Last year was my first big christmas (by no means actually big, just both sets of grandparents) and it was different!

I love Christmas, for that week up until boxing day. I dont like feeling i have to do it for 3 months! #familyfun

11. November 30, 2016 / 9:37 am

Ah kids change everything don’t they, we never used to even bother with a tree because we’d be with our families for Christmas.

This year my oldest keeps reminding me of all of the things we ‘have’ to do – be careful what traditions you start – you’ll be stuck with them forever!!

• November 30, 2016 / 9:38 am

#familyfun btw – thanks for hosting :)

12. November 30, 2016 / 10:21 am

I find Christmas quite stressful. Rather than it being a time to relax, it feels like it’s about balancing the wants and needs of everyone else. But two years ago when I was pregnant and on;y 5 months on from losing my mum, I decided to put my child’s needs first and stayed at home with just my husband. Then last year I insisted it was just us and our daughter; I couldn’t be dealing with the guilt that comes with one side of the family seeing her on Christmas Day but not the other. Nor could I be dealing with a hyped-up and overly pestered child. So that’s what we’re doing this year and I’m actually excited because she’ll want to interact and play more this year. A day with just the 3 of us focusing on nothing more than being together…and eating. Then we’ll have 2 other Christmas celebrations with our respective families.

She’s going to love the twinkly lights on the tree so I actually want to put it up early this year for her. (To then probably try to pull down!) And she’s just getting a couple of pressies because that’ll be enough for her and, you’re right, it costs a fortune buying gifts for everyone else!

Sorry, bit of a ramble. Good luck with your festive December!! #FamilyFun

13. November 30, 2016 / 11:42 am

There can be so much pressure to get everything right. Just relax and have fun! It is hard when you don’t get to be with everyone but then again… 😉 #FamilyFun

• December 1, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Popping back to say Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

14. November 30, 2016 / 12:51 pm

Christmas with the kids is always good. We just have a chilled day at home, lovely.

15. November 30, 2016 / 1:46 pm

I never disliked Christmas, but I hated the fact that it seemed to start halfway through November. A week or two is enough for me, but unfortunately, not for my daughter! #familyfun

16. November 30, 2016 / 1:59 pm

The holidays are so much work. We held a twenty person Thanksgiving with a house full of out of town guests and I am still recovering.

#family

17. November 30, 2016 / 2:11 pm

There are so many elements of this that I agree with – the over commercialism of it makes me feel uncomfortable and I struggle with the ugly side of Christmas so much so that I’m considering taking my three to work in a local soup kitchen this year, They get value – it’s not about them – it’s the rest of the crazy world! For me it is about being with the family 100% oh and maybe a glass of mulled wine or two! #FamilyFun

18. November 30, 2016 / 3:16 pm

Having booze on hand is extremely important during the holidays – how else are we to make it through all the family gatherings and cope with all the money spent?! Good luck! #familyfun

19. November 30, 2016 / 3:52 pm

I lived away from my home country for nearly 20 years so I was always very excited about christmas because i got to come home and spend it with my family and friends. Since the kids arrived though is way more exciting. Everything is special and the kids love it. I’m helpless though and leave all the shopping until the last minute! #familyfun

20. November 30, 2016 / 4:40 pm

I am dying! Such a funny and honest post!!! I am actually the opposite I love everything about Christmas, especially the food, but my husband has struggled with his Grinch side since we met. Having our son has helped soften him. We have made our own traditions and he looks forward to some of them. We don’t do the freaky Santa though. We tried and it gave my son nightmares for months.

21. November 30, 2016 / 6:31 pm

I love Xmas but don’t see the point of cards. I a, so excited for my baby’s first Xmas. Hope you have a good one too #familyfun

22. November 30, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Great post! It really shows the love/hate relationship that i have with christmas well. I love the family, friends, the kids excitement, the lights….i hate the stress of getting everything right and spending so much money. I am going take a page from your book and buck up though, let’s whip out that smile! #FamilyFun

23. November 30, 2016 / 6:49 pm

I’m with you sarah, the ghosts of Christmas past says that it’s just another day. I know seeing it through Roberts eyes are just going to make it awesome though! Ho Ho Ho!

24. November 30, 2016 / 8:14 pm

As a full on Christmas lover I can only say Yay for trying to embrace the Christmas madness! Your kids will love it and it might even rub off on you too :-) it’s true though that there are so many for whom Christmas is not a joyous time, maybe one day when your kids are older you can try volunteering at a soup kitchen on Christmas Day or something along those lines. Oh and btw I love your style of writing x #familyfun

25. November 30, 2016 / 8:54 pm

I used to be a hater of many Christmassy things… especially the movies. This is probably because my birthday is Christmas Eve, pretty traumatic growing up but now I really don’t care. So slowly… I’m starting to warm to it. I enjoy the movies, taking kids to see Santa is awesome and I’ve even come round to mince pies! #FamilyFun

26. November 30, 2016 / 9:49 pm

I was super excited for this years Christmas as the first one with Ben, but for reasons I won’t disclose we will not be spending it around my mums house. It’s put a spanner in the works and now to see our loved ones we need to do several trips and with a little one and a hubby who is on call means this year will be more stressful than fun.
    The nearer it comes the more stressed I’m getting but I’m sure seeing Ben opening his presents will be worth it! #familyfun

27. November 30, 2016 / 10:00 pm

I dread it until the presents are sorted and then I can relax a bit. I always find it so stressful. Thankfully I’ve done the hard part so I’m kind of looking forward to it now. Good job because it will soon be here!! #familyfun

28. December 1, 2016 / 7:33 am

So it’s Dec 1st… did you manage it?!
    Christmas is definitely more fun with little people – it’s a bit absurd when you’re a grown adult doing all the Christmas stuff! Except the drinking of course which is great fun. And the food.
    Good luck this year – hope you make your little family’s Christmas all you want it to be! #FamilyFun

29. December 1, 2016 / 8:54 am

I’ve always loved Christmas even though my family was small and we weren’t very close. Growing up I spent s lot of them with friends. Since I’ve been with my other half we’ve always been with his family which I love! This year is our first as a family of 3 and I can’t wait. The baby is far too young to know what’s happening but I don’t care, I’m going all out!

I’m also planning to drink large amounts of wine to make up for been pregnant last Christmas! #ablogginggoodtime

30. December 1, 2016 / 12:40 pm

So true! I used to be bah! to Christmas and now I am literally hunting down every Christmas related activity and throwing myself in like my life depended on it…we can thank the kiddo for that! Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub lovely xx

31. December 1, 2016 / 1:44 pm

Personally I love Christmas but it is a lot of fuss over one day. I am a solid Christmas eve wrapper but that is deliberate, I make an evening out of it which involves watching the films I want to watch, drinking cocktails and eating my own body weight in mince pies. The last couple of years we have gone over board on presents but this year we (I) have stuck to a strict budget! I keep wanting to buy more but I know it is a waste, last year our eldest opened about 3 presents and then became too overwhelmed by it all. It made Christmas so unnecessarily stressful so this year they both only have a handful of things. Good luck getting to the festive spirit, don’t do too much or you will hate it. Little and often.
    #coolmumclub

32. December 1, 2016 / 3:21 pm

Having never celebrated Christmas as a kid (grew up in India and a Hindu) and being married to a Jew (who didn’t either), I do love doing it now with and for my kids (and myself). I started celebrating it a few years ago before I got married and with my sister and her family in the US. This year is the first time we can’t visit them so we’ll be making our own traditions and celebrating Christmas our own way. I understand the stress. I feel that for Diwali. Christmas, on the other hand, is chill. We set a budget and buy almost all presents online. No lines. No stress. I bought all my ornaments at a $1 store and will go to the After-Christmas sale to buy new ones at 50-70% off for next year. Ha Ha…
    Looking forward to reading more Christmas posts from you on how the year unfolds. #familyfun

33. December 1, 2016 / 4:23 pm

I adore Christmas but hate sending out Christmas cards. My family never used to get a tree or decorate it until Christmas eve so when I see lit up trees in November, I get a bit wound up…otherwise it’s the best time of year for me :)

34. December 1, 2016 / 7:43 pm

I do love Christmas but I hate the pressure for it to be perfect and always mind it a little of a let down #familyfun

35. December 1, 2016 / 10:46 pm

Normally I am on it like a rash – uber organised. This year not so. I am not sure what has gone wrong but I haven’t bought a present or thought about my tree or wreath etc etc. Those are all jobs for the weekend. I do love decorating the house, having people over, drinking, eating and not moving much but like you want my house back to normal by 26th December. Cheers. #coolmumclub

36. December 1, 2016 / 11:04 pm

I have to say I love Christmas because it is whatever you make it. Or at least what adults choose to make it. I want to do all the fun stuff for my kids and because it makes it more fun for me. But the best Christmas tradition of all, I must say, is being allowed to drink all day long. 😉 #familyfun

37. December 2, 2016 / 6:34 am

I love the pretty things and I love buying and receiving gifts, I love seeing gifts wrapped all pretty an the anticipation. I love the carols the night before, and looking at the tree right before I go to sleep on Christmas eve knowing how excited the kids will be to see all the gifts that have suddenly appeared. But Christmas day is good and not so good. I love the chaos of the morning, the smiles and wow’s and being tighten the five of us, I love seeing my family too, and the yummy food, but I hate the rush, the ‘we have to be there at this time’ or ‘we have to cook for so may peel when I just want to watch the kids play’. I find it all a bit much on the day. #familyfun

38. December 2, 2016 / 7:48 pm

Haha, well I’m defo not a scrooge. More of a “have all the intention of planning a magical christmas but leave it too late and just sort of see what happens”
    Still, christmas always seems to be good! #familyfun

39. December 3, 2016 / 8:49 am

I love Christmas bit I do to start getting excited about it until December…Can’t be bothered with those people who start talking about it in October! Im really excited this year as we are having family over ours for the first time, much eldest is 3 so has more of an idea what is going on and it will be my baby’s first Christmas. Hope you enjoy yours with your kids and have fun eating all thexhausted food!xx #ablogginggoodtime

40. December 3, 2016 / 7:16 pm

I think every year is a trial and error until you reach perfection where upon they move out! #familyfun

41. December 4, 2016 / 8:53 am

Hi my dear commented earlier in the week but popping back from #familyfun – hope you are getting a bit more festive now. #familyfun

42. December 6, 2016 / 10:53 pm

I’ve always loved Christmas. My dad tried hard to make it special and most of the time succeeded. I think having children can change your mind when it comes to Christmas. Their little eyes light up at the sign of Santa and their smiles when opening presents is a gift in itself.

43. January 7, 2017 / 9:55 pm

I so love that you choose to embrace Christmas :-) It sounds like you probably had a great one, and maybe even enjoyed it 😉 Thanks for linking up with us last year, look forward to seeing you link up again with us this year. Emily #MarvMondays