The Farm And The City (Mama)

img_0602

Readers you may know that I spent the first 22 years of my life in the City of Bristol. Despite its west country ‘farmer’ accent, it is a city. I was not, contrary to Mr Tammy’s belief raised amongst the cows and chickens. Instead I spent my youth going in and out of a busy city centre. I did have a field behind my house but it’s not as nice as it sounds and a farm it does not make.

Also I have a confession, I am not really an animal fan. They kind of scare me if I am honest. When I say animals, I mean all the animals, cats, dogs, sheep, horses, hamsters – all the animals. I also don’t particularly like seeing animals confined or penned in so farms aren’t really for me. Yet life is no longer about me as I have children and my days are about keeping them happy and entertained.

So in a bid to be super-mum and keep in with the theme of living and not just surviving I decided to take my kids to the farm. After first attending our local baby and toddler group. Yuhuh doing the double.

So I have been to said farm before, in the summer I might add, and my face looked a bit like this ..

Me Zara and Charlotte at the Farm

… Yeah like I said animals are not really my thing and the thought of feeding them didn’t sit too well with me and yes the toddler was braver than me. Oh and yes I am wearing flip flops – at the farm.

Nonetheless we returned and I put my big girl shoes on and acted incredibly nonchalant about the whole thing.

Firstly, it’s November and despite the sunshine it was bloody baltic. I wrapped the kids up pretty well but couldn’t say the same for myself. Fail number 1.

Yeah it was cold but also rainy of late so a logical person would put their child in wellies. Nope not this city mama who lacks the foresight of what the farm actually entails. Muddy shoes all round then. Fail number 2.

It didn’t take long before I realised the farm probably isn’t the place for us. The big girl clearly follows in her mothers footsteps and was none too impressed with the situation. When I say unimpressed I mean scared shitless. We were stood teetering on the edge of the goat house when she spotted a cat, a friggin cat. The cat dared to walk past (it was still a good 3 feet away) and my god the scream and panic in her voice and she ran to grab hold of my legs and hide. So the farm probably wasn’t going to be the family fun bonding day I had in mind. Fail number 3. They’re coming thick and fast eh.

After lots of, ‘ooh look its a goat, no don’t worry it’s a nice goat, it won’t hurt you’ and ‘Ohh look Zara do you want to feed the sheep, the sheep needs his lunch and he’s hungry, would you like to help me? He’s a nice sheep’ I didn’t make any headway. This was as close as she got to feeding the sheep… (which incidentally I did not care for either). Fail number 4.

Zara hiding behind the pram and toby in pram at the farm

We did a trek around the rest of the animals. We saw horses, she didn’t care for those, she did however muster a wave. As did the boy, although he was half asleep and half frozen in the pram. We saw an owl, that sparked some mild interest. The ducks were a non event as were chickens, geese and all other poultry. Fail number 5. I swiftly declared lunch time.

So I sat us by the fire ordered us an over priced packed lunch that I definitely should have made at home and hauled two babies out of prams and into high chairs. Ok one baby into a high chair the other refused, obviously (fail number 6). We had just settled, I took the first bite of my sandwich to hear, ‘Mummy I done poo’.  Fail number 7.

After lunch, and toilet stop, we had been at the farm a grand total of 90 minutes, with probably about 30 actually spent in the farm. I was not ready to declare this day over and face the next 6 hours at home. So as the boy finally fell asleep and for my sins I dragged us into the ‘Play Barn’. This is basically one massive barn with a shit tonne of soft play. Oh-the-joys.

The big girl was finally happy. She hot footed it the replica street and jumped into the first car she saw. That’s my city girl.

zara playing with toy car
She then spent the next hour and thirty minutes (whilst her brother slept) in her own little euphoria. Climbing up and down soft play, slides, bouncy castles, ball pits, toys cars, toy airplanes. When her brother did wake up we tried to all play together, and did for approximately an hour, but we had another ‘mummy I done poo‘ situation and his face generally looked like this…

toby crying

…whilst he screeched at me. Enough was enough, it was 3.30 and we had been out of the house since 9 – despite my fails, ‘we done good’…mostly. Admittedly the farm wasn’t a roaring success but then my daughter is more like me than I thought – you can take the girl out of the city but you can’t take the city out of the girl. So I won’t beat myself up about it too much.

The rest of the evening was a bit of shit storm, the telly broke, the shower overflowed, Mr Tammy was Mr Grumpy, the kids were grumpy and tired, 7 o’clock felt like years away and I didn’t even have any wine, or chocolate.  Despite this I am counting today as a #mummywin and besides, tomorrow is a new day and tomorrow we will have to do it all over again, but hopefully tomorrow will end with wine.

My Petit Canard

This Mum's Life
Mummuddlingthrough

1. November 19, 2016 / 9:17 pm

Sounds like you went above and beyond to keep the kids entertained! Too bad the farm wasn’t for you. Anyway well done for doing all that for them, especially on a day where you just feel like the fails keep piling on and bedtime feels like forever away.

2. November 19, 2016 / 10:50 pm

Every good day ends with wine for me! Sorry the farm wasn’t really your thing, guess I won’t be suggesting a holiday here then, though the kids would probably love our play barn! Being cold never helps, sunshine and wellies next time and it may all be different! #KCACOLS

3. November 20, 2016 / 7:43 am

Top marks for trying! I definitely think these places are best visited in summer! #KCACOLS

4. November 20, 2016 / 9:31 am

Oh sorry but I couldn’t help but giggle as I read through this! I think you did AMAZING for surviving until 3.30pm! I would have packed it in way before then. Although, we’re ok with farms – we’re country girls not city girls that’s for sure! 😀

Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next Sunday

5. November 20, 2016 / 9:33 am

Haha those photos are priceless! Soft play is always a life saver! We’ve been to loads of farms with my 2 year old, she loves them and wants to touch all the animals (much to my horror – lots of antibac at the ready). However she got a bit too close on one occasion to a bloody Shetland pony of all things, which thought her finger was food…cue a trip to A&E!!! It didn’t put her off though, and we still go quite a lot. I learnt early on though to always leave a pair of wellies in the boot, and to always bring a packed lunch! #KCACOLS

6. November 20, 2016 / 12:35 pm

Oh no’ I’m sorry your trip to the farm didn’t go to plan. Isn’t it annoying when we plan great days out, for it to turn out really shit?! I’ve had plenty of those haha. My son is an animal lover so thankfully a trip to the farm is something he throughly enjoys. I think you did fantastic surviving until gone 3pm! I would’ve given up and buggered off home soon before that! Absolutely love the pictures! Haha xx #KCACOLS

7. November 20, 2016 / 8:46 pm

At least she enjoyed the soft play. Tbh, if it was me I would have probably have left before you did, well done for sticking it out.
    #KCACOLS

8. November 21, 2016 / 7:11 am

You did amazingly well to stay out that long, shame it didn’t pay off with a relaxing evening! x #KCACOLS

9. November 21, 2016 / 1:15 pm

You did well, I would have been back in my car and heading home. I love the picture of the doll in the pushchair, my youngest does this all the time x #KCACOLS

10. November 21, 2016 / 2:31 pm

This cracked me up. Im not an animal fan either but dont mind watching from a distance but hate touching the animals. I mean goats are freaky, why would I want to pet one of those freaky eyed buggers?! I’m just not one of those super practical mums thats dressed for all weathers and super organised. Thanks for making me chuckle and joining us for #marvmondays

11. November 21, 2016 / 9:57 pm

I would say this definitely counts as a mummy win! It did make me laugh, especially the scared of the sheep photo! My son is the complete opposite and LOVES the farm (which is good, as his nursery is based on a farm!) although my husband still has bad memories of the smelly pigs….#MarvMondays

12. November 21, 2016 / 10:21 pm

Well ahoy there, me fellow Bristolian heartie! This farm looks pretty good. I have to admit I do love a farm, although Piglet is never as interested in the animals as I hoped he would be before setting out in the morning, but he is only two so there’s still time. #bigpinklink

13. November 22, 2016 / 9:58 am

ive found being a parent has really pushed me to do things that I don’t particularly want to. well done for enduring the farm. we go to a local farm park quite often and we never stay all day hehe! ive had enough by midday so hats off for staying until have 3!! #KCACOLS

14. November 22, 2016 / 2:30 pm

Oh the things we do for our children. I find myself doing all sorts of things I never would have considered before. #marvmondays

15. November 22, 2016 / 4:37 pm

My goodness – what a day!!! I hope you treated yourself to some chocolate in the evening to celebrate!!! Congrats on doing the double – and for accepting the farm isn’t for you. I like the idea of things like that but find myself just inanely chatting ‘oh look at the (insert animal) what a nice (insert animal)’ over and over! #marvmondays

16. November 22, 2016 / 6:47 pm

I’d say well done for going somewhere you really didn’t want to and giving it a go. I’m not a huge fan of the farm either – I get very bored and very cold very quickly but the kids seem to like it, so we keep on going!! #marvmondays

17. November 23, 2016 / 12:16 am

I wonder how many kids get opportunities like this to go and see the animals and farms where their food comes from.
    Do you think it makes them feel differently when they have their next meal?

18. November 23, 2016 / 6:52 am

Well done – I took the Baby to the farm when we were back in the UK – not really something we have here. She was too little so it was more for me. Your farm looks better than the one i went to though but I have to say I don’t think I am a farm mum either! #familyfun

19. November 23, 2016 / 7:26 am

Back again from #marvmondays. Thanks for hosting #familyfun

20. November 23, 2016 / 9:03 am

It’s definitely tough getting out with two of them. Sometimes it doesn’t matter how good a farm or any other destination is haha. Well done for persisting and ending on a positive. The soft play looks right up my toddler’s street.

21. November 23, 2016 / 9:57 am

This looks really good fun!

I hate animals. I’ll never feed them, and i certainly don’t want pets. But weirdly enjoy a day at the farm.

22. November 23, 2016 / 12:17 pm

I think the day was not apt for farm- because of rains and cold. But what you have is experience. You tried your best to entertain them. Happy to link up.

23. November 23, 2016 / 1:03 pm

I like to look at farms- don’t like to actually BE on them though.

24. November 23, 2016 / 1:05 pm

Great write up :) It’s a real shame that the Farm day didn’t go too well, but it’s great you gave it a real go!

25. November 23, 2016 / 1:34 pm

Any day when you manage to get out is a mummy win in my book! Hey, you kept two small children entertained for a day, even if they didn’t love every minute. Success! #FamilyFun

26. November 23, 2016 / 3:08 pm

Oh cute! I grew up on a Cornish farm and moved to central London when I was 18… definitely always meant to be a city girl. Having said that farm visits are so much fun for kids so visiting Granny is always a treat! #FamilyFun

27. November 23, 2016 / 5:50 pm

Although it wasn’t exactly their cup of tea it done them good to see all the animals and get to know them. Well done you for taking them to see something different and out of your comfort zone. #familyfun

28. November 23, 2016 / 7:06 pm

Awww sounds like a good day in the end. I’m not an animal lovers either- more like hater ha. I’ve done the obligatory farm trip a couple of times and hated every minute. Especially the smell! My daughter doesn’t like animals either so each time we’ve been it was a waste of time.

29. November 23, 2016 / 7:30 pm

A brilliant effort I say! Not fun when the fails mount up and you need to soldier on alone. Soft play looked awesome though! #FamilyFun

30. November 23, 2016 / 7:32 pm

Go you for trying this trip to the farm! Top Mummy marks for trying!! #KCACOLS

31. November 23, 2016 / 9:26 pm

Brilliant post. I too am not into animals which my husband finds really strange seeming as I grew up in the countryside. Great pictures #familyfun

32. November 23, 2016 / 9:26 pm

Hug #mummywin day for you! I think I would have given up and gone home. I’m not a massive animal lover, but my daughter seems to like them. Sorry that your evening was rubbish too, I hope it was better the following day. Claire x #FamilyFun

33. November 23, 2016 / 10:41 pm

If you do something you didn’t want to do, just to make your child happy, it is a Mummy win. You should have had wine that night too!

34. November 24, 2016 / 9:56 am

Haha I love posts like this. You see lots of posts about fab days out but I love the ones that are honest about the pitfalls! I like animals but I’m not very outdoorsy, especially when it’s cold. Great respect for going in November. Let’s face it, soft play is the safest bet for winter, especially if you can find one that’s not too busy. #familyfun

35. November 24, 2016 / 10:57 am

We love animals in our house so any farm is always a win. Soft play is less appealing as Miss Belle is so shy and usually is overwhlened with other children. We have a Dinosour Park near us with a small farm yard animal area and we go regularly, though I much prefer anything outdoorsy in the summer. I’m a fair weather girl! #FamilyFun

36. November 24, 2016 / 11:32 am

Hahaha this crashed me up! I grew up on a farm so don’t mind the dirt and bits too much, I love the big animals like cows and horses but hate any small animals (birds, cats, dogs) and really don’t like touching them. I’d count the day as a #MummyWin too! #MarvMondays

37. November 24, 2016 / 11:33 am

Sorry I meant cracked me up 🙈

38. November 24, 2016 / 2:49 pm

Oh the things we put ourselves through just to get out of the house! At least the soft play was a hit x

39. November 24, 2016 / 3:02 pm

It never rains but it pours! Sounds like you had a mixed bag of a day and no wine or chocolate at the end of it would have finished me off. #familyfun

40. November 24, 2016 / 8:07 pm

Argh, bummer. The thing is with days out with kids – sorry, make that DAYS WITH KIDS – is that you win some, you lose some. There’s just no predicting how any day is going to go! You tried. You deserve that wine 😉
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

41. November 25, 2016 / 5:04 am

Loves this sarah, I’m a sucker for a day out! I don’t think you failed, just different, out the house all day and relatively happy too! I think! 😀 #familyfun

42. November 25, 2016 / 8:50 am

Sorry, I did have to laugh…! Especially at the picture of you in flip flops at the farm…! I’m the opposite to you-I was brought up in the Wiltshire countryside, where my parents still live now-I have been a city dweller since I met my husband 9 years ago! But actually, your day sounds quite stressful, and I’m sorry your daughter was so frightened by the animals…! I have a zoo membership, and we always go to the city farms (my children looooooove them!) But I have a very similar inner struggle to you-I never wanted to visit the zoo as a child/young adult, because I counted it as terrible animal cruelty, and I feel like I’ve sold my soul in the name of entertaining my children by going. I console myself that some of the money actually goes towards animal conservation… Anyway, now you’ve braved the farm, hopefully the next few times you go, the children will be less scared, and you will take willies, and it’ll be an amazing day out for you all!!
    #bigpinklink

43. November 25, 2016 / 12:23 pm

You did well to put a brave face on and stick it out! I love animals but petrified of birds and chickens/hens so our local garden centre is a challenge as they’re free roaming and they also have turkeys who are just to me fat chickens with balls on their chin! Ha

44. November 25, 2016 / 1:54 pm

i have not braved the farm with all 3 of mine yet! great that you was out of the house all day this hardly ever happens here i must try harder! Love your flip flops at the farm i would totally do the same! #KCACOLS

45. November 25, 2016 / 8:29 pm

Oh I’m so with you when it comes to dogs. On Wednesday I talked myself through walking away from the family dog! My parents know I don’t like dogs especially Westies but they still got one! #FamilyFun

46. November 25, 2016 / 9:59 pm

Definitely still a mummy win! Well done you and I hope you managed to relax a little while in the play barn! I always make the fail about forgetting to wrap myself up properly…. very well written post. #familyfun

47. November 27, 2016 / 4:33 pm

Back again from #marvmondays – hope you’re clean & dry now #marvmondays

48. November 27, 2016 / 5:03 pm

I’m definitely a city person too. I think the idea of going to the farm is great and the kids always love it but I only do it for them really. Also hate feeding the animal but I always do it because I don’t want my kids to know it and want them to experience doing it. You know what they say… lead by example and all that! #familyfun