Duvet Covers – Making A Room To Sleep Well This Autumn

White duvet cover

Now I have no shame in admitting I love my bed, I love to just in bed, watch telly, sit with my laptop, read a book. Whatever, I don’t mind I just love being in it, especially after a hard day running round after my two/one year old combo. So to me having a comfortable, peaceful and happy bedroom environment is key. Everyone, OK the kids, have the run of all the rooms in the house, their toys, clothes and goodness knows what else can be found loitering all over the house and our bedroom is no expection. Whilst the kids are of course welcome into our room as though it is their own, I still have a niggling desire to make it into a sophisticated adults space – no weird jokes please, wink wink.

I am currently in the process of beautifying our home. Walls have been painted, but they remain bare. Our house needs to be made into a home and we are slowly, oh so slowly, tackling this. High on my list is our mater bedroom, and first things first – our bed.

Now that my kiddies have sussed out how to sleep for longer than two hours at any given stretch I feel I have the strength to talk about my bed without bursting into tears. The bed is after all the centre piece of the room, and the right duvet cover can really dictate the theme of the room. We have a huge  and high king size bed, with a ridiculously thick and heavy mattress, it is the focus of the room. I purposely painted the walls white, admittedly the built in wardrobes are white, but mostly so I could change my duvet cover, and therefore the feel and decor of the room when I wanted.

The summer saw me cover our bed in a bright flowered set from M&S, in a bid to keep the bright light summery feel in my bedroom. Now though we are turning to the autumnal months, the nights are drawing in and we all want that cosy feeling. You can’t beat being tucked up in your warm cosy bed on a cold night.  I read the other day, in a post by Life Motherhood and Everything that we actually need more sleep come the winter months and therefore having the right environment to get that all important nights sleep is key.

So in a bid to (reluctantly) embrace the change of season I am not just donning Ugg boots this year but dressing my bedroom too. Having been looking around for the perfect duvet to set that autumnal, cosy, sleep inducing feel I have found the following;

Firstly, and I think my favourite, is this Keiso Red Duvet Cover Set.

Kelso Duvet set Yorkshire Linen

This, and a magnitude of other stylish king size duvet covers, for an added layer of comfort, can be bought from Yorkshire Linen – all incredibly reasonably priced too. I love this duvet and have always wanted such a bold piece in my room but have never had the appropriate decor to match – there was a feature pink wall when brought our current house. To me this cover is very American country, wood fires and warm sleepy winters nights. With our heavy 15 tog duvet this cover is screaming a cosy nights sleep at me. It is also perfect for the up and coming festive period. It would look perfect coupled with some chunky pillows and matching throw.

Another cover that has caught my eye is this chic block coloured cover from John Lewis. The grey’s and oranges are a perfect match to the autumnal leafy streets and the strips of colour would really help to subtly brighten up my white room, yet keeping it clean and chic. Helping create that clear, clean, minimal environment, which is perfect for inducing that perfect nights sleep. No one needs clutter when they are trying to sleep after all, physically or mentally.

John Lewis Duvet cover

Conversely, I couldn’t help but include this statement geometric design piece available at Next. Team up with a slightly retro (yet stylish) lamp or bed side table it would look perfect. This set would really offset my pale walls and truly make the bed the focal point of the room. Yet the tone of the colours are subtle and not too ‘in your face’. I love this contemporary cover and it makes the room ‘all about the bed’, which after all is the perfect reminder to SLEEP, that is what the room is for!

next geometric duvet cover

What do you think? Does your duvet make your room? Do you like to change with the season or do you choose your duvet based on the getting the best possible nights sleep – babies permitting? I’d love to hear from you.

Home Etc
Mummuddlingthrough
Hot Pink Wellingtons
Diary of an imperfect mum

em>This was a collaborative post.

1. October 17, 2016 / 7:18 am

I love my bed too, any excuse to stay in bed I’ll take it.I also have a bit of an obsession with duvet covers #MarvMondays

• October 19, 2016 / 6:47 am

Returning from #familyfun

2. October 17, 2016 / 10:25 am

Fantastic post, I definitely need to refresh our bedroom for this season. Is it too early for Christmas bedding? Haha

Emily – Babiesandbeauty #marvmondays

3. October 17, 2016 / 11:01 am

I love my bed too. It is a place of sanctuary and relaxation so it’s always nice to treat yourself to some new bedding. I love your Christmas choice (subtle and looks so comfy)
    #marvmondays

• October 17, 2016 / 11:11 am

I love nice bedlinen and tend to stick to white or subtle colours as our bedroom is white and grey. My daughter has some lovely Christmas duvets so looking forward to getting them back out soon!! Thanks for joining us for #marvmondays

4. October 19, 2016 / 7:09 am

Ooh I love my bed. I wish I could spend more time there, but don’t we all ha. I have been mithering the OH about decorating for a while but I hadn’t even considered updating the bedroom. I will definitely be adding it to his job list!

5. October 19, 2016 / 8:41 am

I love my bed too but hate that I spend so little time in it! The red set is lovely, I love the idea of wintering up a bedroom! #familyfun

6. October 19, 2016 / 8:51 am

We are doing our room at the moment and I can’t wait for it to be finished! I just want a nice cosy room!

7. October 19, 2016 / 9:20 am

I am terrible at decor, we have lots of bright patchwork style duvet covers. I think other than the tartan kind of one your other options could work all year round, too. They are all gorgeous!! #FamilyFun

8. October 19, 2016 / 10:05 am

I love buying new bedding it’s such a luxury but really makes the room complete, the styles you have chosen are all lovely for the colder seasons. #FamilyFun

9. October 19, 2016 / 10:32 am

I love that geometric print from Next – I’m a huge fan of anything geometric, and the colour combination is fabulous! Totally wouldn’t go with my wallpaper, but hey ho! I love a few cosy touches for the home once autumn sets in, it really makes it feel like a space to curl up in and hibernate! #FamilyFun

10. October 19, 2016 / 12:02 pm

I particularly love the red duvet set – looks really snuggly for the winter. I haven’t bought any new bedding for years but this has inspired me to. I’ll have to have a look next time I’m at the shops! Thanks for an inspiring post :)

Also, thanks for linking to my post. Glad you found it informative / an excuse to buy new bedding! #FamilyFun

11. October 19, 2016 / 12:24 pm

The red duvet cover set is literally my dream bed set! How beautiful and so perfect for autumn. Add a couple of stag and tree cushions and it is perfect! #FamilyFun

12. October 19, 2016 / 12:51 pm

It’s a great, fun idea to change your duvet to reflect seasons and moods. Unfortunately, I am far too lazy for this. It’s just about all I can handle to change and wash the duvet. We have some comfortable ones that we love though. #familyfun

13. October 19, 2016 / 12:59 pm

LOVE the red bedding! 😍 I’m a bed hog too! Love that little one sleeps 7-5 most nights also so I get Undisturbed sleep!

14. October 19, 2016 / 1:24 pm

I love my bed. There’s nothing better than getting in bed at 8pm with a good book! Especially with new bedding!

15. October 19, 2016 / 2:05 pm

I love my bed too! We have a huge super king sized bed and it can be difficult to find duvet covers I like. I’m on the search right now for new ones as my older ones are looking a little tatty. Like you I like my bed to be my sanctuary. I get plenty of sleep – having a 7 yr old and 12 yr old doesn’t really stop me sleeping. 😉

16. October 19, 2016 / 3:38 pm

Totally agree with your favourite choice of bedding. That red one is lovely. I really need to invest in a new quilt and pillows to be honest. Nice big thick comfy ones. You simply beat a comfy bed, and bedding is the pinecle in this. It’s common knowledge right? #familyfun

17. October 19, 2016 / 3:56 pm

Duvets are life changing I SWEAR! Our cat peed on ours and we had to toss it. I was depressed for a week!

18. October 19, 2016 / 5:41 pm

Having a nice duvet cover makes such a difference to a bedroom. I love that first one – what a gorgeous colour and it just looks so cosy! #familyfun

19. October 19, 2016 / 6:08 pm

Love the idea of changing it up a bot bit finances say no to is this year! Maybe next #familyfun

20. October 19, 2016 / 6:09 pm

I love the grey and white theme at the top. It’s simple and classy. John Lewis is a close second. Love posts like this because they get me all inspired and we have a spare room to do in the New Year. #HOMEETC

21. October 19, 2016 / 6:15 pm

I love the bright colours. Makes me wish I didn’t share my bed with a small West Highland terrior. Haha. #familyfun

22. October 19, 2016 / 7:36 pm

I LOVE my bed. I am a big fan of a nice crisp duvet, white sheets and a lovely throw #HomeEtc

23. October 19, 2016 / 9:12 pm

It doesn’t ever really get cold enough for a duvet here in Arizona… boo, because I love a snuggly duvet. I actually like all your choices and have some scatter cushions very similar to the geometric one! #FamilyFun

24. October 19, 2016 / 10:38 pm

Lovely picks! I love the whole idea of changing rooms as the seasons change, but like you we are very much in the process of making our house into a home and our master bedroom is pretty high on my list of spaces to complete too. I cant wait to see what you do with it as I could definitely do with some inspiration :-0 Emily #FamilyFun

25. October 20, 2016 / 7:54 am

Oh I LOVE my bed too! Never thought about seasonal duvet covers – inspiring! I adore that red tartan one too!! Thank you for the inspiration lovely xx #FamilyFun

26. October 20, 2016 / 8:58 am

I love changing things for the winter, I need some nice winters duvet sets! These ones are great! #SharingTheBlogLove

27. October 20, 2016 / 11:09 am

I’m currently looking at updating our bedroom with the colours red and brown. I love the red duvet.
    #SharingtheBlogLove

28. October 20, 2016 / 11:59 am

Oooh I like the top one best. The others are a bit too stylish for me! I’ve never thought to change my duvet with the seasons, but I think I could get into it! My husband might not appreciate the credit card bill though…!

29. October 20, 2016 / 11:59 am

I shared this because I find choosing a duvet cover so damn hard and I found this really inspirational. I get stuck in a rut with white, but you’ve given me some great ideas here – thank you. Alison x #ablogginggoodtime

30. October 20, 2016 / 12:35 pm

I bought Orange check ones for my boys bedroom last year for Autumn (from Next) and they were so warm and cosey. I get so fed up of buying bedding, I try and get ones now that suit both summer and winter! #ablogginggoodtime

31. October 20, 2016 / 1:11 pm

I love my bed too, but we really need to do something with our bedroom. We moved house last year and everything needs redecorating. It’s a painfully slow process and we’re concentrating on the downstairs rooms first, so it could be a while before I have my dream bedroom. It’s nice to get ideas in the meantime though, and I love that red duvet cover! #familyfun

32. October 20, 2016 / 1:45 pm

My bed doesn’t belong to me at the moment, my 3 year old has raided it. Pregnant with #5, I think it’s going to be a few more years until I can call my bedroom my sanctuary again! Lucky you, enjoy every moment! #FamilyFun

33. October 20, 2016 / 2:32 pm

Great choices hun. I love the next geometric design! It is so nice having a new duvet cover isn’t it? We have a beach theme in our room now and I love it! Thank you for linking up to #ablogginggoodtime 🎉

34. October 20, 2016 / 5:58 pm

I love my bed too..wish I could spend more time in it! Definitely think a duvet cover can change the whole feel of a room. I love that red one you’ve found, looks so cosy and perfect for the winter months xx #familyfun

35. October 20, 2016 / 7:18 pm

ooh yes I love the tartan set. I’m planning a major bedroom project, maybe next year. Oh hang on, I think I’ve said that every year for three years! One day!
    Thanks for linking up to #coolmumclub

36. October 20, 2016 / 8:25 pm

Totally. My room is all neutral colours. depending on my mood i can throw on a bright printed duvet and it changes the look of the whole room. thanks for sharing #familyfun

37. October 21, 2016 / 9:54 am

Lovely bedding inspo! I want to go back to bed now :) x

38. October 21, 2016 / 7:46 pm

OMG I love my bed to bits! Fresh linen is my favourite time and I love to have nice quilt covers too. My dream is to one day have a pure white set but with kids that is years away yet!:)

Mainy

39. October 21, 2016 / 8:46 pm

I love my bed, but I love it to have crisp white bedlinen. And tea in bed brought by MOH, so I can pretend I’m in a hotel for a very small while anyway! #homeetc

40. October 21, 2016 / 9:48 pm

I love buying new duvet sets, there is something so satisfying about it. That NEXT one is gorgeous, I love the colours. I wish my youngest would just let me enjoy it for a couple more hours each morning. Thank you for joining us at #SharingtheBlogLove X

41. October 21, 2016 / 10:16 pm

Oh I love my bed too. When I’m home alone & the kids are in bed I head straight for my PJ’s ready to nestle in to blog/read/watch YouTube. Love the geometric prints from Next, certainly the trend for the season. #sharingthebloglove

42. October 22, 2016 / 8:26 am

Lovely choices, I adore the bottom one x

43. October 22, 2016 / 11:10 am

We have a new Cath Kidston duvet cover – I love it! #marvmondays

44. October 22, 2016 / 1:33 pm

My better half has an unhealthy interest in John Lewis bedding too haha. It is nice to have a nice relaxing bedroom though…until of course the kids burst in and destroy your serenity.

45. October 22, 2016 / 7:42 pm

Love the red duvet cover very reminiscent of Christmas. #FamilyFun

46. October 23, 2016 / 10:31 am

I love my bed too! A new duvet cover gives you even more reason to stay in bed a bit longer! #familyfun

47. October 24, 2016 / 7:21 pm

I also love my bed and love fresh sheets and a tidy room! Love a new cover too. Thanks for sharing & linking up! Jess xx

#HomeEtc

48. October 25, 2016 / 1:57 pm

I’m just the same — my bed is my sanctuary. But it’s funny, I’m a real white bedding kinda gal! Until recently when I’ve had my head turned by all the beautiful BluebellGray bedding, which is a riot of colour! Thanks for linking up :) #HomeEtc

49. October 28, 2016 / 10:31 am

Love the red. There’s just something about fall, cool weather and a blanket.