Baby crack – (baby products) helping you through the baby years!

img_0377

When pondering over this post and its headline I was thinking along the lines of ‘tips for getting through the baby years’ or ‘helpful hints’ but I didn’t want to mislead you, I don’t have some amazing secret to make your baby sleep, to make you feel like you or how to grow 8 arms so can to do everything. If I did, I’d bottle it and sell it! Then swiftly retire on my massive yacht. When it comes to parenting I am very much ‘an each to their own’ kind of mum..whatever gets you through the day and all that. So, instead, I can offer you a little list of material goods that helped ease the baby whirlwind that came ripping through our once quiet lives.

1. Medal swing pump, or the milk maid as it became known to us. Breast or bottle, your choice but if you opt for breast and are in the market for a breast pump then I couldn’t recommend this more. I had such a hard job trying to feed both my children so we invested in this. It wasn’t cheap at £130 but had I not used it I would have spent the money on formula. I found it as good as the hospital grade pumps but it is smaller and lightweight so easy to take away with you should you brave an outing or week away. It has different strengths and two different settings designed to replicate feeding.  The only slight drawback is the noise. Not only do you feel like a cow being milked you sound like one too.

2. Sudocrem care and protect. I don’t know what is in sudocrem but it is bloody is marvellous stuff. Whatever the skin related ailment sudocrem is your man, so to speak. Once (and I hate to share this story because it makes me feel like a crap mum) but once I failed to dry my daughter properly under her arm after a bath and when I changed her later she had a really horrible, red, angry looking sore. We plastered her in the thick white stuff and left her arm exposed  to breath. Within hours it was practically healed. The downside to sudocrem, it gets everywhere! The amount of times I have sponged it off my sofa or been out and looked down to find white finger marks on my leggings (because you will be wearing leggings for a good few months post birth), chances are you will also  bump into someone you know – just so look like you got the mothering thing down. But fear  not people the clever peeps at sudocrem HQ have developed Care and Protect. It has the same amazing quality and has a protective barrier against external irritants. But equally as important it is a finer consistency that won’t ingrain itself on every piece of clothing you have!

image
3. Paco pod, the camel bag. I must confess the yummy mummy wannabe part of me dictated this purchase. I wouldn’t usually purchase such an expensive place to store nappies and poo bags but I am so glad I did. It was money so well spent. It comes complete with two ‘pods’ inside the bag or, if you’re  like me, strapped on to the pram! Having a tandem pram doesn’t leave a great deal of buggy space to fit your change bag, so I can generally fit all of what I need in my pods and still have some space spare under my pram. I generally look like a working camel with bags strapped to my pram, especially if I’ve got a a shopping bag or two in toe but hey ho. The actual change bag itself is stylish, spacious and complete with lots of handy compartment for your keys, phone, purse, lippy whatever you need.

Paco pod

4. Milton, the bottle bath. When I stopped breastfeeding and switched to the bottle with my first we had a steam steriliser, it was such a pain. You either had to be super organised (I wasn’t, surprise surprise) and sterilise enough in advance that wouldn’t have to wait the 8 minutes it took in the microwave and so as not to burn your fingers when putting your bottle together from all the steam with a screaming baby to boot. It used to get all yellow and gross looking when it needed descaling and it made your bottles go a weird cloudy colour. However I was enlightened and showed the error of my ways and introduced to cold water sterilising in a Milton tank. Admittedly I though this was steriling from the 60s but it’s so much easier, especially for the unorganised. Wash all your bottles and just chuck them in the tank with some sterilising solution and your good to go. Just have to change the water every 24 hours.

5. The pièce de résistanc, Ashton and Parsons, crack for babies. I will be forever in debated to Mr Ashton and Mr Parson. Teething is horrible. Your poor baba is hurting, as are mum and dad. It keeps everyone up, pushes everyone’s patience in the day and more often than not you will have one poorly babe. We tried everything. But the only thing that came close to calpol was Ashton and Parsons.

Ashton & Parsons

A dear friend of mine once called it crack for babies. She’s not wrong. It always sorts out my little ones disconten and makes them happier, but the similarities don’t end there! It is a fine white powder you are supposed to put on their tongue but will inevitably end up all round there nose and mouth, and they will always look at you for more and thus the affectionately named crack for babies. By they way I used it when teething (wisdom teeth) and it actually helped. These guys should be millionaires.

6. Wine. If all the above fails to improve your days and sometimes it might just, then pour yourself a nice cold glass of wine and think back to a calmer time.

Have you got any products that got you through the baby years? I’d love to hear from you.

Wine

A Mum Track Mind
Keep Calm and Carry On Linking Sunday
My Petit Canard
My Random Musings

1. May 14, 2016 / 12:41 pm

Ha ha – obviously with mine being older I don’t need this list so much but I wonder if the powder would sort teenage tetchiness and attitude – I may just try it. The wine helps me cope with the teenage attitude and that will be one my list for a very long time! A fab read and I LOVE the title #fortheloveofBLOG

2. May 15, 2016 / 7:12 am

Great list – The Ashton & Parsons is our saviour at the moment. I so want a pacapod but fear hubs will kill me if I get one xx #KCACOLS

3. May 15, 2016 / 7:33 am

Teething powders – yes! They were magic on our first, who had a tough time with teeth. The others didn’t really suffer so much.

Now they’re a bit older, my saviour is the iPad and there’s always a football in the back of the car!

Thanks for sharing #KCACOLS

4. May 15, 2016 / 8:25 am

Great choices – a definite must-have list! #KCACOLS

5. May 15, 2016 / 2:08 pm

Ha ha, we definitely have the teething powder, and mother has the wine 😉 #KCACOLS

6. May 17, 2016 / 1:39 pm

I’ll pick up the teething granules for sure. And I agree with Sudocreme! There is literally nothing that stuff cannot fix. We get through it like water here. But better than the dreaded nappy rash. #KCACOLS

• tammymum
      May 17, 2016 / 6:39 pm

Oh definitely try teething granules! Bloody love a bit of sudocrem, even if you can’t get it off your sofa! Thank you for your comment xx

7. May 17, 2016 / 4:30 pm

Great list! My daughter once decorated her bedroom with sudocream. The blinds are still covered. #kcacols

• tammymum
      May 17, 2016 / 6:38 pm

Omg that can not have been good! Xx

8. May 17, 2016 / 4:56 pm

This is a great list. I have a pacopod and I love it – fortunately I was given it as a present because I don’t think I would have been able to splash out on one myself, they are quite pricey aren’t they! Also in agreement with the sudocrem. My midwife told me not to use it and suggested I used Bepantham instead – well she couldn’t have been more wrong! The bepantham caused a red rash so I used the sudocrem to clear it up haha. Thanks for sharing on #fortheloveofBLOG x

• tammymum
      May 17, 2016 / 6:38 pm

I love my pods! They are so good! Never tried bepantham…but doesn’t sound like I should, I’ll stick to the white stuff you can get off your sofa. Thanks for your comment xx

9. May 18, 2016 / 7:05 am

Ah I loved th medela swing, it wasn’t ours though so may have to invest this time round! Haven’t tried those particular teething granules…will add them to the list. And I’m already stockpiling wine so basically will be fine!! #BloggerClubUK

• tammymum
      May 18, 2016 / 9:14 am

Absolutely worth the investment, both medela and granules. But if you have a stock pile of wine then you’ll be just fine lovey, as you well know. Eeeee all the best for the new arrival xx

10. May 18, 2016 / 11:39 am

Love this! Great list. You made me laugh as well. I just went and bought some teething powder stuff as he is just cutting his first tooth, not used it yet as he seems to be ok but glad I have some on hand for the inevitable meltdowns! Definitely going to call it ‘baby crack’ from now on. #bloggerclubuk

11. twotinyhands
    May 18, 2016 / 8:38 pm

Not heard of this teething crack before! I have got by with Calpol so far, my brave little man with the owner of 6 teeth now! I love sudecrem though, it is amazing, I just don’t know how it works. #triballove #bloggerclubuk

12. May 18, 2016 / 9:03 pm

Totally agree with all of these. A thermos mug is helpful too…at least it gives you a chance of having a war cuppa! #BloggerClubUK

• tammymum
      May 19, 2016 / 8:00 pm

Oh my goodness I gave so missed out on the thermos, that would have been such a good idea!! Thanks for your comment xx

13. madelinelittlejohns
    May 19, 2016 / 3:03 pm

The teething powder is fab, it really helped my two. I would add muslins to the list, we had a huge pile of them and they were so handy! x #KCACOLS

14. May 19, 2016 / 6:22 pm

Oh my god Ashton and Parsons!! Totally baby crack, I couldnt have got through the past 6 months without it! Lovely list and all very true, although I haven’t been lucky enough to get a pacopod yet 😉 #KCACOLS

• tammymum
      May 20, 2016 / 5:58 am

It’s all about the baby crack! Thanks for your comment lovey xx

15. newmummyblogcom
    May 19, 2016 / 8:16 pm

A great list! I agree with pretty much all of these, though we use different makes, and Nelsons Teething Powder is what has helped us with teething (we haven’t tried Ashton and Parsons).

Thanks for sharing on #KCACOLS hope you can link with Franca again on Sunday x

16. randommusings29
    May 20, 2016 / 4:01 pm

I know a few people who swear by that powder. I’ve never heard it called crack for babies before, I love it :)
    Thanks for linking up to #BloggerClubUK :)
    Debbie

17. May 24, 2016 / 9:16 pm

ashton and parsons… seriously is actualy baby crack! Its awesome! Love this… i also need shares in sudocrem!!
    #bloggerclubuk #triballove